Racing pipe

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Our set of CTs 2 inch twin pipes have arrived , lovely things . Beautifully shaped and plated . Cant wait to hear them speak their thunder . Sid . He made us an up pipe , 2 inch , for our 600 single to use in street trim , just beautiful . Uses a racing SuperTrapp which has a 2inch glas PAC unit inside . Marvelous sound , and flat flies . Sid .

davidd

VOC Member
Fash Exaust

Tim,

I am not sure if this will help you, but Colin can do any pipe you wish. I chose to do mine myself. There were two patterns of pipes and one of them had a kink under the gear box. I chose this because it only takes two pieces (not counting the stub.) I bought a standard "J" pipe, which has a bend on a straight piece, and I also bought a straight piece. So, if you look below, the bend and straight part going to the gearbox is one piece and the straight part that is kicked up is one piece. I smoothed the weld under the box and it looks like one piece after plating. This allows you to use readily available parts and all you have to do is some welding.

3407.jpg

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks Dave
I got Sids exhaust I was very interested in the internal baffle as I have always maintained that 2" was too big a diameter for road racing so perhaps I can stand a bit of obstruction (Roy Robertsons pipes are smaller than 2" but larger than standard) anyway my guess is it will still be too noisy for the Nimbys in the UK as I have to get it under 105Db for the track (makes me smile what a reversal from 1960 now road bikes can be noisy and racers cant) so it will never look as good as yours but I have one more trick up my sleeve....

davidd

VOC Member
We do have a 105 db limit and it is lower for certain tracks. I do not race the Flash anymore so it only runs at rallies. On the Racer, I plan to install the Manx silencer and megaphone as it has been highly developed. I did the math for the exhaust and the mean gas velocity is best for my engine with an 1-5/8" I.D. pipe. This means it is essentially a 1-3/4" O.D. pipe. This is the same size as used by Lindsay Kyle on the Ken McIntosh built Comet Racer (Lindsay worked for Ken), which is making 45 plus bhp.

It is difficult to silence a straight pipe. Slipping on a Super Trap is probably the most quiet. I have never tried the baffles. I will be interested to see what you come up with!

David

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . There is a true racing SuperTrapp , very light and shorter , accepts a 2 inch pipe and has internally a very effective fiber glas absorption section with a full 2 inch internal passage through it . Made for the HD 750 dirt track oval racers . So it's the same ID all the way through , 2 inches . We use one on the 600 when in street trim . Marvelous deep tone and very strong running .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I've heard others also prefer a 1& 3/4s pipe , There is a return wave referred to as the anti reversion at work here . Our 600 would not do anything right with the usual SuperTrapp plates fitted , no matter the number of plates . Only when I removed them all did it wake up dramatically . Now has a single dress plate at the tail end with a 2 inch center hole . Torque is immediate with no stand off behind the inlet bell . Sid .

vibrac

VOC Member
I have an absorbtion silencer on the Comet racer is a big job and mounted high up for clearance with nothing except a 2" perforated pipe and absorbtion matting very effective on my Db meter 103Db

the height is a good way to cut sound as well the ground effect can be quite large
rhside.jpg