OP: Oil Pump Quill

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The engine has been making a different whining sound than usual, so I took the timing cover off to inspect. The quill became a two-piece item! Should I look for a certified JB Welder to stick it back together? :eek: A new one is 24 quid!

Quill.jpg

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
The original timing side shaft on the crank assembly that came with my basket case was probably an original Vincent factory one. It had the hole for that quill drilled at quite an angle. It seemed to be so eccentric you would never think it would work at all. It had been used for a long while judging from the wear on the big end. (the main wear was just from the separator rings between the three rows of rollers) It was mainly because of that fault that I fitted a new timing side shaft (and all the other shafts as well) I did use the worn quill that came with this collection because I don't think it really matters much about the fit of the quill in that hole. That quill probably never worked with this particular crank. It has run really well for about 18,000 miles now. I think when the crank turns it sucks the oil from there anyway. Maybe yours broke because the hole in your shaft is wobbly like that one I removed. It would be really easy to check. Just put something in there and kick the engine over.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
How's the engine running Bruce ?,
I would have thought the Flywheels are out of alignment ?,
But if it's OK , Leave well alone !.
Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I seem to recall in a little book I have somewhere about John Surtees that he made a special quill for his racer out of another material (nylon?) he was concerned about having an effective feed to the big end.
Smiling about "a proper one" remark above (I guess they are all made by the same source nowadays :)) I remember back in the "lean years" before the Spares Company, Ray Elgar bought a new one from somewhere and was fitting it to his sprinter and luckily he noticed the central hole was not drilled right through!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The engine is running smoothly, so I'll wait to dismantle it. That quill had been in there for 30+ years, I believe. When I screw in the new one, I'll do it in stages and rotate the crank to see if there is any obvious excess rubbing.