Questions about Lightning Engine Number

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This is where the forum can become very dangerous and almost turn into a kangaroo court. What appears to be an innocent or no so innocent comment can suddenly be used to either trash a genuine bike or add providence to a not so genuine one. Then such a comment can become folk law and be refered to for years to come.

What I will add is there is no issues with the identity of this Lightning.

Simon
Hello, Simon,
the owner and I are friends and he is not hiding any information of the originality of his bike, which is well known on the continent and regularly seen on race tracks for demo runs.
But I do respect your objections and will erase the foto from media, again.
To all others, thanks for your information, let us end this discussion here and continue PM, as suggested
Simon, can we continue likewise?
rgds, little Honda

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
the owner and I are friends and he is not hiding any information of the originality of his bike, which is well known on the continent and regularly seen on race tracks for demo runs

Little Honda,

It is fine with me if the owner is good with the scrutiny. I know the owner has owned the bike for many decades. I just thought that if someone posted a photo of my Flash numbers it might raise all sorts of questions before Simon had the chance to say "The number is fine". The rumors would tend to linger on.

One of the best things Simon has going for him is that he has many photos of numbers. As a result, he knows quite a bit about fonts, placement, mistakes, double stamps and partial stamps. The rest of us don't have that kind of experience. It is a good reason to send Simon good digital photos of any numbers he does not have.

As far as I know, 1648 was raced out of the box and was raced for many years. That is a good start for any Lightning!

David