Questions about Lightning Engine Number

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In Media I have posted the engine no. of my friend´s Black Lightning under "DSC00918 Engine No. Lightning"
Before the engine no. appears an "x", which seems to have been added later, before or after machining the cases. Furthermore, if you look closely on the foto, there appears another "F" , a bit to the left, but under the
valid engine no., and, between the zero and the following "A" of the "F10AB", which were put in the cases b4
machining, another "A", but upside down.
Could it be, that , due to the false imprint, the cases were taken aside, but later taken and corrected with the
actual number, but signed "x" to mark the correcting action? Just an idea.
The lettering, in style, size and arrangement is doubtless original, as are the prior imprints. Therefor it seems,
that the "x" has been beaten in at a later time.
The bike´s history is fully documented.
Who knows more?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
You probably know this, but this number doesn't appear in the Denis Minett notebook as far as I can see. It may have been an exported machine. Perhaps Simon Dinsdale can shed some light-or light some shed. It may be better to do this by PM. "X" usually denoted experimental engine, and it could have been re-stamped at the Factory.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
It may be that 1648 is just a tad early for the Special Engine Department, maybe just a month or so too early, or at least prior to the S. E. D. being formalized, and Denis started taking notes.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
S E D, was George Browns race dept run from the Test House at No1 factory, staff George and Cliff Brown and Mike Eggerton. Denis Minett started his Dept 50 yards further west from the Test house in a Refurbish building ,Next door the area for the Building of Girdraulic forks run by Ted Hampshire assembly foreman .

davidd

VOC Member
1C/1648 went to Switzerland and is on John Marshall's list in MPH 421. I have the feeling that without the owner asking this august body to speculate wildly on the photo that the subject should be properly left to Simon. I think it may be unfair to the owner for us to ask questions or point out things that can only be answered by a review of documents to which we have no access.

David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
You probably know this, but this number doesn't appear in the Denis Minett notebook as far as I can see. It may have been an exported machine. Perhaps Simon Dinsdale can shed some light-or light some shed. It may be better to do this by PM. "X" usually denoted experimental engine, and it could have been re-stamped at the Factory.
I think it originally went to Zurich.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
1C/1648 went to Switzerland and is on John Marshall's list in MPH 421. I have the feeling that without the owner asking this august body to speculate wildly on the photo that the subject should be properly left to Simon. I think it may be unfair to the owner for us to ask questions or point out things that can only be answered by a review of documents to which we have no access.

David
Thank you David, you are correct this bike did go to Switzerland.

Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This is where the forum can become very dangerous and almost turn into a kangaroo court. What appears to be an innocent or no so innocent comment can suddenly be used to either trash a genuine bike or add providence to a not so genuine one. Then such a comment can become folk law and be refered to for years to come.

What I will add is there is no issues with the identity of this Lightning.

Simon