Question on setting ignition timing

JaapDeurloo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So if I understand correctly, the ring should be like this.

camring.jpg

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Peter, I had the feeling it was not like it should be.
Do you think the camring needs to be turned 180 degrees ?, can this item be pressed out and in, or can I loosen the whole housing and turn it 180 degrees ?

Jaap,

As a first step, you should remove the cam-ring only. It should pull out fairly easy. If not try some penetrating fluid and leave for a while. You might find it easier to remove the points assembly first by unscrewing the middle hex bolt.

Then you should turn over the cam-ring. Look at your photo and you will see a slot in it near 6 o'clock; this should engage with a peg in the housing.

i have attached a couple of photos of mine with the 2 x cams marked at their beginning and end. This should help you understand the correct position you are aiming for.

Peter B
Bristol. UK.

P1030886.jpgP1030887.jpg

A_HRD

VOC Member
Jaap,

Oops, we crossed in the post!

I hadn't seen that drawing before. Can you send a me hi-resoultion copy by PM please?

I note it is for a KVFTT mag and the cam has a slot for a manual advance/retard. You'll see that mine are a little different - but not that much. If you aim to get somewhere between the two you should be OK!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

JaapDeurloo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
bedankt voor de tip Teun, een beetje warmte zal zeker helpen, als die ring goed zit hoop ik het apparaat eindelijk eens te kunnen laten lopen, nu komen de openings tijdstippen van de punten niet overeen met de slipring timingen.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Hell Peter, I got the drawing off the VOC Whitakerpedia here is the link to the page.

http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/7.3/7.3-697-53.pdf

Jaap,

Ah! I now see that this drawing appears to have been drawn upside-down! Hence your confusion! And now mine too! The front cylinder (No.2) is at the bottom. Why would they do that? When placed the right way up, the cams are in the same position as on my bikes.

Unfortunately I can't read any of the words or numbers with clarity.

Let us know how you get on.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

JaapDeurloo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yes Peter, I was hoping to find some clarification on this subject "googling" through the VOC files and else on the internet, but I only got more confused, but now knowing that the camring can be flipped over it is clear.

I will continue with my Vincent challenge in a couple of weeks, as I am now at work abroad.

By the way I now see it says clockwise in the drawing, then the timing is correct for #2 at the bottom.

A_HRD

VOC Member
By the way I now see it says clockwise in the drawing, then the timing is correct for #2 at the bottom.

No, more confusion! The standard convention is to describe the rotation of a magneto from the 'drive' side - clockwise in Vincents case. So from the CB side the rotation is anti-clockwise.

Besides, the cam will not fit on the peg in this position; if it were made to do so by grinding a notch, the brass part of the slip-ring would not be against the No2 pickup as the points open - which it needs to be of course!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.