Quaife/Surtees overshifting

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Greg, I have a 7 plate Newby clutch which seems to work great, so far. No problem finding neutral, however this is the quaife box, not the Terry Prince item. Right now the ears on the g61 are to far apart to have any effect on shifting, however it shifts perfectly with the .050" spacer rings added to the g66 pin and g49 peg.
Glen

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
I have a Quaife 5 speed as my original box was unhappy about engaging 2 gears at once when one of the selector pins fell out.
The instructions, which came from VinParts says:

Later kits include 2 items not mentioned in the original instructions. They are a small sleeve and a rivet. The sleeve fits over the peg on G49 and inside the spring G70. The rivet replaces that on G66AS and locates inside G70.
The function of these 2 additional items is to reduce the risk of over selecting when changing gear.

Hope this helps.
Cheers - Steve

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Steve, that verifies things and is the info I was looking for from Surtees Sport Power. They did not call back, so I called them, but the lady spokesperson still had not asked the question of their "mechanic" I gave her my email address to make response easy, however it is two weeks now and still no response.
I guessed at the size of sleeve needed and made one for the peg on g49 plus an identical one to slide over the rivetted pin in g66. It shifts perfectly now, haven't been able to amke it miss a shift since adding those items.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Someone from Surtees Sport Power did call back yesterday night and now the correct parts are on the way.
I won't disassemble to install them as the sleeves I made up are doing the job just fine, however next time the gear cover is off for inspection or what-have-you, I will install the provided parts.
Glen

davidd

VOC Member
Someone from Surtees Sport Power did call back yesterday night and now the correct parts are on the way.
I won't disassemble to install them as the sleeves I made up are doing the job just fine, however next time the gear cover is off for inspection or what-have-you, I will install the provided parts.
Glen

Glen,

Any idea why the parts were not in the kit originally? Is this something you have to ask them for specifically?

David

vibrac

VOC Member
they were not in my kit but then, even earlier, a spacer was misplaced in the drawings of the assembly (see old forum threads)

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Not sure why the parts weren't in the kit. The lady from Surtees got her times a bit mixed up and called at 2 am our time, so I was a bit dozy, barely able to provide the correct mailing address, didn't think to ask.
Glen

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I bought my Quaife cluster from Surtees more than ten years ago and the additional parts were included but without instructions. I figured out what they were for as it seemed obvious to me that the movement must be restricted to select 5 gears within the rotation that previously selected only 4 gears and fitted them and had no problems with over selection.
I did feed the information back to them but it doesn't seem to have registered!
Bill

greg brillus

VOC Member
This is where the Surtees cluster is different to the ones Terry put out years ago, as on Terry's one the camplate requires extra rotational travel to pick up the fifth gear. That is, if you place an original camplate on top of the 5 speed one, you can see it needs about another 9/16 of an inch of extra travel. This means that before assembly, you need to give the bevel gear in the roof of the box more travel as well. It is not a big deal, but it CAN be if you don't check first before the case halves go together for the last time, or otherwise it simply will not pick up fifth gear completely, and would most certainly jump out. With regards to the previous issue I had selecting neutral on the racer, I think the detent spring was a tad too stiff, causing too much effort to change gears full stop. So I simply shrunk the spring by about 2 mm and it feels much better now. So on the next fire up, I will test it out, and hopefully it should be easier to find neutral.....Greg.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Now that it is working, albeit still with my guesswork sized alloy sleeves in place, it shifts as nicely as any motorcycle transmission I have ever used, comparable to an AMC /Norton box.