Quaife 5 speed

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone out there with a Quaife gearbox give feedback. There is one on e-bay and I have been considering placing a bid BUT am unsure what advantages it will bring. I have a B Rapide with 8:1 pistons, BT-H ignition and home-made cams that have more overlap than a Shadow but less than a Lightning (similar to 105 cams ?). At the moment I have a 48T rear sprocket to cope with the local hills but would like to fit a 46T and still have the "grunt" for the hills.

vibrac

VOC Member
On the road in the alphabet twin (No slouch) I found the higher bottom gear the best feature of the box
It only really came in to its own racing on the Egli with a top quality clutch + Newby belt drive and some careful selector /actuator tuning then to quote Ben "What you mean I was not supposed to change up without the clutch?"
certainly it made cutting a crankcase and fitting a 50's pattern norton box a sign of vintage thinking
also search for 'Quaife' on this forum

vibrac

VOC Member
Didn't they have trouble with early ones ? Cheers Bill.
yes something to do with a spacer in the wrong place or lack of (there is only one as I remember)
mine was ok (by 1999)
may be on forum somewhere certainly deep in my jtan archives

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Going by the ratios Quoted by Mr Surtees, (the source) both third and top are the same. Do you need an extra gear between 3+4 versus a standard 'box? seems a waste to me on a road bike.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Also Alyn, you will almost certainly have to split the cases to get more rotational travel out of the G39 AS as the five speed cam plate needs a lot more travel to pick up the extra gear......i know cause i tried it on Glen's B Rapide, ended up going back to a new four speed cluster instead........darn it...Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have to agree with Roy, 4 Good, 5 too many, Had a BMW 1000 Brick, With more power than a Vin,But was forever changing gear, Drove me Nuts. Cheers Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
I have to agree with Roy, 4 Good, 5 too many, Had a BMW 1000 Brick, With more power than a Vin,But was forever changing gear, Drove me Nuts. Cheers Bill.

I've got 6 on the Fireblade ............ as Mike the Bike once said, I don't know which gear I'm in, I just keep changing until there are no more.

My 4 (Rap ratio) gears are plenty on the road, but on the occasional track outing I was aware of gaps - probably better with Shadow gearing.

H

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We will have to swap bikes one day Howard, I must have a go on one of those Fast things befor i die, Maybe it will be just befor !! Cheers Bill.