Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Quaife Vincent ratios up until sometime in the early 2000s
1st 1:2.46
2nd 1:1.61
3rd 1:1.34
4th 1:1.075
5th 1:1

The 4th gear at just a 7% drop from top was likely racing inspired, as that was what Rod Quaife and John Surtees wanted the 5 speed for.
Eventually they changed that 4 th gear ratio to the current
1.134, which should be a bit more useful on a road bike.
Standard Rapide and late Shadow gears are
1st- 2.60
2nd- 1.61
3rd- 1.19
4th- 1

The 1.19 third in a standard Vincent is a really good road ratio for that engine in that it pulls hard from about 60 mph to over 100 mph.
The main reason for purchasing a Quaife has to be the shifting improvement. Also the cost might be lower than a standard gear cluster. The 5 speed Quaife was less expensive than a standard new 4 speed a few years back (10 already?) when gathering parts for the 1360 engine.

Glen

kinsellm

Forum User
VOC Member
Is it still possible to buy a 5 speed gearbox? When I try to find the Surtees website it does not seem to work
I also find the phone number does not work, at least calling from USA
Monza House
Fircroft Way
Edenbridge
Kent
TN8 6EJ
Tel: 01732 863773
Email: amanda@johnsurtees.com

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
As of the 30-06-21 the answer is yes, they are still trading and selling 5 speed gear clusters, you need to email Amanda at Sports Power Ltd, amanda@johnsurtees.com
The cost is £1493.00 + carriage + vat
Try this phone number also, 01732 865496 I think it is correct, but it seems email might be best.
Kinsellm
In answer to your enquiry.

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Kinsellm
In answer to your enquiry.
I tried to but a 5 speed from them in 2017. I was informed they will no longer sell them to North America, which included Canada and Mexico. Get someone in the UK to buy it and send it to you. You will have to pay VAT and freight. Unless you have a "friend" travelling here who could bring it (as I did back then)

Check your Private messages.