Quaife 5 speed gearbox

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
I had trouble with mine in not wanting to go or return to 3rd gear and had to modify as shown here. Anyone else had this trouble?

Also found it very sensitive to adjust the change to avoid over and under shifting.

Ernie

Attachments

• camplate 2.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 195
  • camplate1.pdf
    89.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ernie
I was thinking of purchasing one of these clusters off John Surtees, not sure why I feel the need as the standard 4 gears have served me well over 50 years, but you know how it is, there is always a need to fiddle with things, so what are your impressions once you overcame the initial problems, what is different in your 2 pdf files, apart from one having the bevel gear fitted and the other not I am struggling to see the difference. Would be nice to know before I part with £1740.00!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ernie
I was thinking of purchasing one of these clusters off John Surtees, not sure why I feel the need as the standard 4 gears have served me well over 50 years, but you know how it is, there is always a need to fiddle with things, so what are your impressions once you overcame the initial problems, what is different in your 2 pdf files, apart from one having the bevel gear fitted and the other not I am struggling to see the difference. Would be nice to know before I part with £1740.00!
I think in the picture with the bevel gear fitted the track just to the right of the gear looks to have been modified to give a more pointed shape.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Re Ernie's second point, wasn't there supposed to be a small circular bush that fits on the post of the G49 to limit travel, to prevent over shifting..........?

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Greg, I wondered what that was for and have just read up about it on the earlier thread Bruce indicated. Ed - that is it. Surtees' man told me that no one has reported the 3rd gear problem before and they have sold over 200 kits! Very strange.

DRM8491

Forum User
VOC Member
I had trouble with mine in not wanting to go or return to 3rd gear and had to modify as shown here. Anyone else had this trouble?

Also found it very sensitive to adjust the change to avoid over and under shifting.

Ernie
Hi Ernie, i'm just fitting one of these clusters to my bike and thought i would look at problems people have had
as i find mine very hard to change between the gears and don't see the selector being able to do it.
Any advice would be appreciated. Dave