Python (Rudge) Vernier Magneto Sprocket

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I was recently in contact with Peter Barker, as a customer for his Series A saddle springs. During our correspondence he sent me a link concerning Vernier magneto sprockets. Although quite expensive I was very impressed by what I saw because I could see it would make future ignition timing an easier task.

You may well have gathered from the Sussex Section survey in the March edition of MPH that I have purchased a couple. One for my Python Sports Vincent and one for my 1938 Rudge race bike. They will be fitted next time the ignition needs re-timing, so as of yet untested.

Here is the link http://www.kingpincomponents.co.uk/rudge-12t-vernier-sprocket

Thank you Peter for making me aware of this product.

I have no connection with the company selling them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I was recently in contact with Peter Barker, as a customer for his Series A saddle springs. During our correspondence he sent me a link concerning Vernier magneto sprockets. Although quite expensive I was very impressed by what I saw because I could see it would make future ignition timing an easier task.

You may well have gathered from the Sussex Section survey in the March edition of MPH that I have purchased a couple. One for my Python Sports Vincent and one for my 1938 Rudge race bike. They will be fitted next time the ignition needs re-timing, so as of yet untested.

Here is the link http://www.kingpincomponents.co.uk/rudge-12t-vernier-sprocket

Thank you Peter for making me aware of this product.

I have no connection with the company selling them.
This link works (or it just did for me) I cannot see how it could be used in conjunction with a ATD though.

https://shop.kingpincomponents.co.uk/vernier-sprockets

Martyn

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

oexing

VOC Member
But then on a postwar engine you should open the three bolt holes of the mag case to a sort of banana shape so you can rotate the complete mag for fine tuning. Can´t see why they did not do this at the factory, on all car engines you set the ignition by rotating the distributor according to timing marks on the open flywheel or rather the water pump pulley of the crank.

Vic

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
But then on a postwar engine you should open the three bolt holes of the mag case to a sort of banana shape so you can rotate the complete mag for fine tuning. Can´t see why they did not do this at the factory, on all car engines you set the ignition by rotating the distributor according to timing marks on the open flywheel or rather the water pump pulley of the crank.
Vic
The new style BT-H magneto has slotted fixing holes. Especially useful to adjust a few degrees when you are checking after tightening the nut on the end of the shaft rather than having to undo the nut and crack the taper.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes another plus for the electronic BTH but you need ear muffs when you are adjusting timing with the engine full belt on the rolling road a few inches away

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Another good idea of the modern BTH apart from the slotted fixing holes is the O ring used to seal it to the crankcase. This allows it to seal and also to be moved within the slots, something you cannot do if you use gasket goo. I don't know if such a groove could be put into a standard Lucas mag as it may break through the body casting.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes another plus for the electronic BTH but you need ear muffs when you are adjusting timing with the engine full belt on the rolling road a few inches away
Tell me about it! Ex ACU noise meter operator, Eh, pardon, what did you say?