Pushrods at the 2018 Classic TT

D

Deleted member 3831

Although Comet engined machines were at the Classic TT this year, for undisclosed reasons they did not race.
Other pushrod engined machines filled the void with an excellent performance coming from Phil McGurk on his BSA Gold Star, with a superb last lap of 101.9 mph.
Incidentally Phil was the first man to reach the 100 mph lap on a BSA Gold Star, for which he was awarded a sum of £1000, a prize that had been waiting to be collected for some years. Now he has surpassed his previous best and will be focussed on his next effort for the 2019 races.

Another notable effort came from Chris Swallow riding a Royal Enfield Bullet engined machine, owned and prepared by Steve Linsdell. Chris finished in a very creditable 4th place, missing out on a podium position by a mere 3.99 seconds, with all his laps, including his standing start lap, at 106 mph plus. This engine incidentally has crankcases made way back in 1957.

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
... at the Classic TT this year...
Another notable effort came from Chris Swallow riding a Royal Enfield Bullet engined machine, owned and prepared by Steve Linsdell. Chris finished in a very creditable 4th place, missing out on a podium position by a mere 3.99 seconds, with all his laps, including his standing start lap, at 106 mph plus.
Chris Swallow crash at 2019 TT
Click on link:
David
Grey One says that Chris Swallow finished 4th at the Classic TT on an Enfleld-based special, and then David posts about a fatal crash at the 2019 TT. Is Grey One's report June and David's August?
Sad to hear about this crash.
Nick Thomson's dohc Velo replica is an amazing project. I have been trying to find out about its progress. I remember seeing a DNS report from June, no idea why, no idea how fast it was in practice. But I read that it was fast at Pukekohe.
Paul

D

Deleted member 3831

My report was dated August 2018, and was relative to the Classic Senior race of that year.
Chris Swallow crashed and was killed on the opening lap of this years Classic Senior race, at Ballaugh Bridge
The Velocette he was due to ride broke it's crankshaft during the first lap of practice, and with no spare available took no further part.