Pushrod engagement

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Puhs rod

Hello,
Just had a closer look at the chewed rod, the way it is cut does not suggest that it is very hard, as quenched silver steel should be. John.

BillyKnight

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
a bit like this? You may be able to see what looks like some light scoring on it too further along, I wonder if it wasn't a little bent beforehand. Certainly no doubt now! What a monkey..

Attachments

• sept 2009.jpg
    sept 2009.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 55

john998

VOC Member
Push rod

Hello,
Yes, just like that, although not so bad. It hard to visualise how the ball end gets cut like that. John.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi, every body knows how hard it is to see if your pushrods are correctly seated in the cam follower. Here is a gadget that roger and I have found to be just the answer to a vincent owners prayer, and it do not cost a fortune, just a mere £6.38. what is this wonderfull tool you ask ,well it is an addition that you fit on to the end of your mini mag light, and converts it into a fibre optic inspection light. This you can shine down your push rod tubes and see if the push rod is seated correctly. no more turning the engine over, hoping that every thing is in its correct place, with the resultant damage it .
for this wonder full tool see www.lite-tec.co.uk item mag281
Or flints hire and supply Ltd, queens road, london. se17 2px
0207703 9786
cheers stumpy lord.

BillyKnight

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hey Stumpy Lord,
I am looking but not finding, that web site does not have a search window etc etc. I may call them, these push rods are a nightmare. I want to maintain my top end regularly without having to rip the timing chest apart non stop.
Otherwise its pull the cover off then plate off, cam out then fit the rods, wiggle the followers back up hoping the rods are still in there..not nice. If a rod slips off its wrecked even if you don't start the engine, it gets trapped by the cam. I'd hate to think what would happen if a rod jumped with revs on.
Its got to be right from the start.
Thanks for the tip.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Hey Stumpy Lord,
I am looking but not finding, that web site does not have a search window etc etc. I may call them, these push rods are a nightmare. I want to maintain my top end regularly without having to rip the timing chest apart non stop.
Otherwise its pull the cover off then plate off, cam out then fit the rods, wiggle the followers back up hoping the rods are still in there..not nice. If a rod slips off its wrecked even if you don't start the engine, it gets trapped by the cam. I'd hate to think what would happen if a rod jumped with revs on.
Its got to be right from the start.
Thanks for the tip.

My pushrod ends are smooth so I am able to feel the suction of the oil when I lift the pushrod slightly out of the cup. Also, if you use needlenose pliers (Snipe nosed?) you can feel the rim of the cup as you insert it and guide in into the center. The motivation to acquire this skill is avoiding the work of opening up the timing chest.

BillyKnight

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I will try to master the suction method that you two gentlemen have so obviously perfected. I am very aware of what may happen if the rod slips out!
Billy.