Push Rods

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone know of a source for push rods longer than 6"? I have been asked by someone who is contemplating the build of bored and stroke motor.
He says that 6 1/8" or 6 3/16" would be ideal. Thanks.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
For what it is worth, my 90 x 100 engine uses standard sized pushrods so I can only guess that Albervin's friend is intending to use a longer barrel in his quest for capacity. I wonder what the stroke can be taken up to, that is, in standard cases. I'll go back to sleep now.
Cheers, ET43

Howard

VOC Member
Would it be easier to use standard pushrods and get the extra length on the adjusters? Nuts underneath (so to speak).

H

Steve F

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Smiths in USA did a great job for me

I sent them one of my /2 BMW rods and had them copy and make me a set in aluminium. The set (of course it is a BMW) was far less than an original steel BMW set. I'm sure somebody in Europe offers this service, however push rods aren't heavy so distance/postage shouldn't be a big factor.

Have fun

davidd

VOC Member
Dear Metal Bits,

I do not think HE30 would be the best choice. If I remember correctly, my machinist is using 2024. I think HE30 is 6083 maybe? The pushrod made of 7075 bent in the first race. It turned out that 2024 although lower in room temp tensile strength, kept a higher percentage of its strength at a higher the temp. Send me a PM if you want me to call him to verify. I have used both types of pushrods, namely, steel end and all aluminum. I do not think it makes much difference assuming you take the time to maximize the ball and cup contact area. This can be done with a stone or lapping in a drill press. The last pair I had made are all aluminum.

David

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Dear Metal Bits,

I do not think HE30 would be the best choice. If I remember correctly, my machinist is using 2024. I think HE30 is 6083 maybe? The pushrod made of 7075 bent in the first race. It turned out that 2024 although lower in room temp tensile strength, kept a higher percentage of its strength at a higher the temp. Send me a PM if you want me to call him to verify. I have used both types of pushrods, namely, steel end and all aluminum. I do not think it makes much difference assuming you take the time to maximize the ball and cup contact area. This can be done with a stone or lapping in a drill press. The last pair I had made are all aluminum.

David

What is wrong with titanium? I have a foot of 8mm but I guess it would take a lot of turning tools