ET: Engine (Twin) Push rod tubes

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Took a little longer to get the 19mm X 2.5 for the upper plug (packer) but they are here now so this weekend is the big test!

vibrac

VOC Member
I have now inserted the two X two O rings I did find that 'a smear' of silicone sealant is a difficult thing to achieve, and I wonder if my rare excursion into metric (ie useing 19mm ID instead of an imperial size) was a mistake as one of the packer o rings seemed loose on the tube, however they are all set in place now I used a torch and a screwdriver to check that quarter of the seal against the barrel is OK and all seems fine I shall now wait and check nothing has popped up before continuing the assembly.
Trouble is its a long way up and a long way back if it doesn't work, but I have found a wooden box and a large clamp to hold the UFM & Forks alongside on the primary side without disturbing the wiring or cables so just the oil lines need reconnecting but I guess it will be next week before testing can take place

vibrac

VOC Member
Re the reassembly: the one job on a Vincent I hate is the insertion of the push rods especially with a closed timing chest I prepared myself as always with narrow nosed pliers and a prayer mat and after meditation 'dropped' them in and I think for the first time since a member of HMs government was hit by a front numberplate they actually dropped into the followers without a lot of fiddling and swearing. Dont get excited but I may be on a roll...:cool:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The Videan seals for the pushrod tube uppers work really well. I did not have good luck with the rest of the seals in those kits, all of the other areas are back to stock stuff now.

Glen

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The Videan seals for the pushrod tube uppers work really well. I did not have good luck with the rest of the seals in those kits, all of the other areas are back to stock stuff now.

Glen
I find that hard to understand, I find all the banjo seals, oil drain and level plug seals, and also the inspection cap seals excellent, none of those areas weep oil once fitted, and you can use them time and time again, what do you dislike about them, the appearance?

vibrac

VOC Member
Peter: I never reuse standard seals the cost of new ones are nothing compared to a mistake in tears and time But I agree assembled carefully all the standard seals are OK except the one seal I have problems with are the lower pushrod seals we are discussing

greg brillus

VOC Member
Nothing personal but I don't use Neal's seal either.........The inspection cap ones tend to either split or melt........Obviously they split from being over-tightened which is a problem from folk getting carried away. The ones over the valve caps melt from the engine heat........they are difficult to get to, so i don't use them.....Or If I do only on the shallow ones on the kick start cover and primary cover caps. The alloy washers that sit bellow the oil return lines are too hard and may or may not seal.......I use the original ones, but use small 1/4" ID dowty seals under the 1/4" BFS bolts, this seals really well without over tightening the bolts, this will start to crush the top of the banjo fitting..........The ones Glen is talking about do work ok, but again they melt and weld themselves into the head, making removal difficult........ I find the original seals available from the VOC the best. Again I only use "O" rings on all the lower pushrod tubes now, easy to do and nil leaks. If the extra smaller one is used immediately above the main sealing one, then they look fine without leaving a large gap.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I find that hard to understand, I find all the banjo seals, oil drain and level plug seals, and also the inspection cap seals excellent, none of those areas weep oil once fitted, and you can use them time and time again, what do you dislike about them, the appearance?

I've had two of the inspection cap seals break at the Aluminium ring, both at very inopportune times, hundreds of miles from home. One at the top of the engine let go. This requires dropping engine to replace. That one let go about 1500 miles from home, lots of oil everywhere. I opted to run for home spewing oil all the way. In hindsight, I probably should have bitten the bullet and done the work roadside.
I found the banjo arrangement with its Al. ring took quite a bit more bolt pressure to seal than the stock arrangement does. At least it did on my two Rapides.

This is a concern as the banjo hold down bolt only hangs on by a few fine threads. So I've gone back to stock on those too. All nice and dry at present!
However, as mentioned, I still have the Pushrod tube seals from the kits in place and they are dry.
I do put quite a few miles on and the problems with the split rings did not show up until several thousand miles down the road.

On edit
Greg posted similar info just as I posted this

Glen

Last edited: