ET: Engine (Twin) Push rod tubes

paulgoodson

New Forum User
VOC Member
I am in the process of removing the cylinder heads from my Black Shadow, which I’ve never done before. I’ve unscrewed the nuts holding the pushrod tubes in place but they are all completely stuck. I can’t shift them at all. Any suggestions gratefully received.

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some silicon oil or grease is a great lube for rubber so with a little help from a wire to work it into the seal should do the trick. By the way, I think I´d get a thick o-ring there instead of the original square section seal. Would not be any better than an o-ring in sealing, provided the bore and tubes are free of blemishes.

Vic

timetraveller

VOC Member
What I would do is put some protective tape round the tubes and then using water pump pliers gently rotate them. Once they are free to rotate then you can continue to rotate and slowly work them downwards until they are free from the heads.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Note that the flange may be stuck in the screw threads.

A plastic half over the tube and tap bit would undo that

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Or a tool like this. 3/4 in ID bit about 1/2 long, weld into vise grip and then band saw in half (or so) It gets used enough that it was worth sacrificing an old pair of vise grips.

20200609_134037.jpg
20200609_134044.jpg

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Robert Those look really nice. I will have to make some. I already have vice grip marks in my pushrod tubes, but that will help with the grip. I am hoping not to have to take it apart again for quite a while.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Robert Those look really nice. I will have to make some. I already have vice grip marks in my pushrod tubes, but that will help with the grip. I am hoping not to have to take it apart again for quite a while.
check very carefully that the tubes are really round and not in anyway distorted - if they are not 'perfect' it will be almost impossible to get them oil tight on reassembly.

New tubes are not that expensive.

Martyn