H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Pumps

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For those of you that would still attempt to mend a puncture or replace an inner tube at the roadside, as opposed to dialing up the rescue services, I have found a particularly good little pump, it will not fit under the fuel tank and would look out of place anyway, but at 350mm long would probably fit in a tank bag or panniers, it is manufactured by Topeak and is designed to suit fat tyre mountain bikes, I could give you figures for the amount of air it pushes per stroke but all the details are on the net.
It is named Mountain Morph and costs around £18.00 from Wiggle or Chain Reaction, and is manufactured by Topeak, all seals and O rings are replaceable but probably never need to, last time I went to use my replica under the tank pump the dished leather washer was in two pieces, useless, I can't be bothered with little gas canisters and carrying an electric pump seems a bit of an over complication, for me, this is the answer, hope I never have to use it.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
e-bay link

Thank you Peter my handsome but I think I'll stick to my little electric pump that was part of a power pack kit and supplied me with a good 19 amp hour battery, (lasting 2 to 3 years) power point take off, 12 v LED light, USB socket for charging iPhones ect, all for £19:99 at Trago Mills, your Topeak p/p is at £28 !
bananaman

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Marcus, first thing is, do not buy this pump from eBay, as I said in my post it costs £18.00 from Wiggle or Chain Reaction, and that includes postage, so cheaper than the Trago Mills electric pump. But what really swings it for me is the weight, as I get older, and to pinch Bill Nortons quip, "I have done the sixties, twice" my bike is definitely getting heavier, Albert Einstein did not explain how this can happen, but it does, the Topeak pump weighs in at 250g and that converts to around 9oz, I should not notice that in the tank bag or panniers, but a lead acid battery with all the other stuff, what does that weigh? to much for me anyway, and I hope never to have to use the pump anyway, but it is there if I need it.