Puddle Jumper's belt drive

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Since as a non-member I can't reply in the Help needed thread, I'll start a new one.

Is the 3" belt drive dictated by the clutch, because if not that's real overkill? On the racer we were using (if I remember correctly) a 2" belt drive with a Norton clutch, might even have been a bit narrower. At the end the racer was putting out over 100 bhp at the rear wheel (in it's 1200 cc guise) and we never had any problems.

Cheers

Roy

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Belt drives

Standard classic racing drive belt is 1", used on everything from 350 Nortons up to Weslake mega-twins. I've broken one belt in 15 seasons. A stone got in, frayed the (probably 5 year old) belt, I failed to notice, and it let go. I guess I've replaced the belt on a ~50 bhp 500 Manx three times in fifteen years, and the crankshaft pulley (it's ally on a steel splined mainshaft) once.
(The answer isn't to enclose the belt, because then if a stone does get in, it can't get out, and it wrecks the belt even faster. I know someone who found this out for himself...)

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Then we were probably also using the 1" belt, since we were also using the Newby clutch. It's about 13 or 14 years since I sold the beast, so my memory's fading a bit!
Whatever, I don't remember ever having any problems with the belt drive, unless Ian neglected to tell me about it! :)

Last edited by a moderator: