Misc: Everything Else Prototype of new AVO coilover for Series ‘D’ Vincents

Andys998

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there,

This is my 'D' with the new shorter AVO rear suspension and a 300lb spring. The seat height now is comparable with a standard 'C' and at 1.68metres tall I can get both feet flat on the ground. Fitting the unit took less than 30 minutes and it has more clearance around it than the standard unit. The limited testing I've been able to do has been solo and on Yorkshire's bumpy country roads there is no wallowing or bottoming out. The riding experience is now similar to my modern Ducati touring bike.

No levitation needed in the picture - just a Neal Videan side stand out of shot!

Andy

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone have a list of the spring wire diameter sizes corresponding to spring rates for the coil over AVO dampers. As I would like to check mine.

hadronuk

VOC Member
Does anyone have a list of the spring wire diameter sizes corresponding to spring rates for the coil over AVO dampers. As I would like to check mine.
Oddly enough, I do. What is it you are trying to work out? Wire size alone is not enough to characterize a spring.

derek

VOC Member
Thanks hadronuk, I have a AVO coil over on a Comet, but it seems very stiff. The wire size measures 0.380" over the paint, so I guess 0.375". I am thinking of trying a lighter spring. I have no pre-load and damper adjust at zero, fully floating rear end but still can not bounce the bike up,down by applying load to seat!

derek

VOC Member
hadronuk; I could not access the PM chat. However I have recycled the damper adjust a couple of times and then set at lowest, I now get bounce, but still consider that I would prefer a lighter spring.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Is it free to pivot both ends, I think one person had that trouble, I took mine off again, Just to check.
Cheers Bill.

hadronuk

VOC Member
hadronuk; I could not access the PM chat. However I have recycled the damper adjust a couple of times and then set at lowest, I now get bounce, but still consider that I would prefer a lighter spring.
Very odd as well! As it was a lengthy reply and off topic, I don't want to post it here. BigEd is forwarding a copy to you to see if you get that. Please say if you don't. rgds. Rob