Proper oring chain maker and model??

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gents,

I am suffering from massive Vincent withdraw and as my Shadow is now sitting
in pieces :-((. FT Exhaust spindle backed out causing a ruckus in the timing chest..
Man I am missing my bike.

Once the motor is back (one day :-( ) she will need to have the new stock
chain replaced with a new oring chain as I am replacing the drive and rear
sprockets with oring sprockets. I want to get the proper chain in
stock so I am ready when the assembly takes place.

So, the question is what make and model oring chain will fit and provide
enough clearance on my Shadow with oring specific sprockets fitted? The size is 520 but is there a “best” mfg or model recommended?:confused:

Thanks all,

Eric

Albervin

VOC Member
Eric, it seems that X ring chains are the new "gold" standard. I don't touch them and have old fashioned chains on all my bikes except the BMW:)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Gents,

Once the motor is back (one day :-( ) she will need to have the new stock
chain replaced with a new oring chain as I am replacing the drive and rear
sprockets with oring sprockets. I want to get the proper chain in
stock so I am ready when the assembly takes place.

So, the question is what make and model oring chain will fit and provide
enough clearance on my Shadow with oring specific sprockets fitted? The size is 520 but is there a “best” mfg or model recommended?:confused:

Thanks all,

Eric

Dear Eric,
This is not a direct answer to your "O" ring chain query as I am first asking you some questions.
  1. Why do you need to replace the new stock chain?
  2. What are your reasons for wanting to fit an "O" ring chain?
I understand that an "O" ring chain does have some benefits as I have one fitted to my Ducati where it was installed without modification. My understanding is that to fit an "O" ring chain to the Vincent the sprockets need to be thinned. Topically I bought a new Iwis 5/8 x 3/8 rear chain for my Rapide at the weekend. The Iwis chain I fitted in September '08 has done over 20,000 miles with only occasional adjustment and the filling of the Scott oiler reservoir. When the current chain is replaced the same make chain should hopefully give the same good service.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Eric, it seems that X ring chains are the new "gold" standard. I don't touch them and have old fashioned chains on all my bikes except the BMW:)

Thanks Al...The only reasion I am switching to the oring chain is to get away from the regular oiling. I have had no issues with my stock chain, but as my bike is now in pieces, I had to break the chain to pull the motor so while it is apart I figure now is as good a time as any to go to the Oring Chain. I already had the sprokets in stock I just did not think I would only run the stock chain for 500 miles...

Eric

Ducdude

VOC Member
Dear Eric,
This is not a direct answer to your "O" ring chain query as I am first asking you some questions.
  1. Why do you need to replace the new stock chain?
Do not need to Eddy, I have been happy with the stock set up. I just wanted to get away from the oiler.
  1. What are your reasons for wanting to fit an "O" ring chain?
Durability, less oil flinging around, it looks cool, makes me feel fast, I had the sprockets already....etc :)

My understanding is that to fit an "O" ring chain to the Vincent the sprockets need to be thinned.

True they are about 1/4" thick.

In simple terms I thought using an Oring chain might be better with less attn needed I guess we will see. Is it necessary? I would say no...Stock chains are fine. I can ALWAYS go back in 20 or 30K miles!

BTW I learned yesterday that an RK GB520MXU chain is only 18mm wide at the pins and that is 0.77mm thinner then the stock unit so that will or should fit just fine. But if there are other options I am open to suggestions.

Thanks Eddy for your help..

Cheers,
Eric

Roger Lord

Forum User
VOC Member
O ring chain

Hi

You should know that even O ring, and even x ring chains need lubrication, even if only to lube between the chain rollers and the sprockets, It's life will be increased greatly if you do so. I have been running one on my Rapide for a while now and appart from when i deployed the automatic o ring remover in the middle of Milaou, France, It has been well worth doing. I use an electronic chain oiler, also money well spent

Roger Lord

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
How much wider is this chain in comparison with a 520 chain, or a standard chain. The reason I ask, is we know that there is enough clearance between the back off the gear box sprocket and the crank case, and between the sprocket and the g50 plate to run a 520 chain , but will you have ennough to run this wider chain? Having arrived home in the pouring rain many many times, and found that my standard[ lubed by scott oilers] chain hanging like old knicker elastic I know wht my preferance is.
stumpy lord.
In simple terms I thought using an Oring chain might be better with less attn needed I guess we will see. Is it necessary? I would say no...Stock chains are fine. I can ALWAYS go back in 20 or 30K miles!

BTW I learned yesterday that an RK GB520MXU chain is only 18mm wide at the pins and that is 0.77mm thinner then the stock unit so that will or should fit just fine. But if there are other options I am open to suggestions.

Thanks Eddy for your help..

Cheers,
Eric

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
One is tempted by the fact that many Lightnings ran 5/8 X 1/4 on thinned sprockets to save weight rather than 5/8 X 5/16 (In fact my racing Comet does) is there an 'O' ring 5/8 X 1/4 that would sort the size problem and speed the plot up?

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
yes, 520 chain sorts the size problem out being 5/8 x 1/4 but being a much heavier chain, and sealed with either o /x ring seals it is a stiffer chain and I doubt if it will release more power to the rear wheel of you grey flash.
stumpy.