Proper air pump for 1950 Rapide

Canadiancomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Seems that there were many acceptable pumps made in the Vincent era, but what would a purist expect to see for an air pump on a 1950 Rapide for export??? Thanks in advance.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Probably a "Britton", but after your first ride on a bumpy road, a Bluemels "Motobike", or anything else you could stuff down your jacket or fit in your panniers.

Canadiancomet

VOC Member
I have been told a Britton by some but was also given another name. Problem is I forgot to write down the other. If I go online shopping for an original I would like to get the right one. I agree with the bumpy road issue, especially here in the "Colonies"

Robert Watson

VOC Member
20160823_082926.jpg

Like this. There is a lion on the other side of the handle.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Probably a "Britton", but after your first ride on a bumpy road, a Bluemels "Motobike", or anything else you could stuff down your jacket or fit in your panniers.
If you find a suitable pump you can secure it by putting a Jubilee clip (worm drive hose clip) around the body of the pump and butt it up to the handle. You will need a screwdriver to take it off when you need to use it but it stops it jumping off on a bad road surface and makes it less likely to get stolen.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The other brand I've heard mentioned is "Thapex" particularly pre-war. Some guy in Holland used to have them. Peter's Classic Bikes?

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I have a Thapex pump surplus to requirements. It has a stirrup and side connection like the Britton. It must have had a lot of use at some time as the knurled gland at the top of the air chamber is worn where the shaft passes through it. Unfortunately the original flexible connector is missing. Without the connector it measures 14 1/4" uncompressed. I imagine that with the connector 14 1/2". It is a little too long to fit under a 'C' tank. I don't know the fitting dimensions for an 'A'. The legend on the handle reads THAPEX underlined and beneath APEX INFLATOR CO. LTD. and below that MADE IN ENGLAND.

Jerry161

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a Thapex pump surplus to requirements. It has a stirrup and side connection like the Britton. It must have had a lot of use at some time as the knurled gland at the top of the air chamber is worn where the shaft passes through it. Unfortunately the original flexible connector is missing. Without the connector it measures 14 1/4" uncompressed. I imagine that with the connector 14 1/2". It is a little too long to fit under a 'C' tank. I don't know the fitting dimensions for an 'A'. The legend on the handle reads THAPEX underlined and beneath APEX INFLATOR CO. LTD. and below that MADE IN ENGLAND.

I have looked at 'my' pump/inflator, mostly made of black plastic.
Markings include "APEX INFLATOR CO LTD" and "Lastwel Pump".

The body bore is 13/16 inch or 20 - 21 mm diameter.
Any ideas where I could buy the internal leather cup shape washer?
Not an easy DIY job to make one.
Also
Any ideas where I could buy the flexible connector for normal Schrader valve?

On a related topic, the late Bill Hancock recommended in MPH a "Halfords 3 spout injector" for adding oil to and removing oil from awkward spots such as primary chain case.
Very useful - it has 2 internal back to back cup shape leather washers for blow and suck.
The brass body bore is 1 inch or 25 mm diameter.
Any ideas where I could buy the internal leather cup shape washers?

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Jerry 161,

I have no direct knowledge but I understand that some modern bicycles have inner tubes with car type valves. Perhaps some modern bicyle pumps have flexible connectors to suit this kind of valve and could be a source for your pump. Similarly old bicycle pumps could provide a suitable leather washer. These washers often dry out in long term storage and need soaking in oil to regain their efficiency.

Interesting that your Thapex has a plastic body. The body of mine is made of steel as is the pump handle but both are covered in black celluloid or similar early plastic. The shaft appears to be plated seamless brass tubing. Judging by the script and style of the legend I would think the pump is definitely pre-war.

Hugo