PT: Exhaust Proper 2-piece exhaust pipe mounting ("5th stage of hell" confirmed)

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As Somer Hooker noted, my Series B (2501) had a 3-piece header system and that to change it would be a VOC recognized "5th stage of hell".

All true but I know thy self (beast) and outsourced it to Scottie Sharp (local Vintage BMW slash 2 expert/Angel) and he used about ~15 tools I don't have to make it happen. Welding / grinding a flange in particular. With new crush (copper) washers due to arrive tomorrow from Coventry, we noted that the only place there is a notable exhaust leak currently is at the rear-to-front pipe joint. The clamp maxed out does not prevent provide a complete seal. Suggestion was to use a "muffler/tail pipe sealer" (Permatex)---evenly apply around the rear tube and slide it into the front tube then tighten a new full chrome PT4/2 (not what is on there now--non chrome, less substantial) and hope it all works better. Any better ideas out in the VOC welcome?

Happy Holidays BTW!!!
Mark in SF

1608922910161.png

1608922930205.png

1608922949555.png

1608922978423.png

greg brillus

VOC Member
The original clamps worked well, the modern equivalent ones are very weak by comparison, I use a threebond black high temp sealant on those joints.......Good to use a smear of anti seize on the pipe nut threads........Fitting a new system can be difficult so a good level of patience is needed.

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Thanks folks. I used a Vincent not Triumph clamp from the VOC, some gasket material on the joint and exhaust nut washers and I am riding with improved exhaust performance. Thx Mark