Misc: Stands Prop Stand

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
can anyone state what material the original prop stands were made from, and if they were a forging. I ask this question because having just purchased a new one it is obviously a casting and looks like grey iron! Derek.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
look at it this way- the man that made it had a profit from it, it had to be shipped half way around the world to get here, the man who sold it also had a profit from it, so if you paid less than 30 quid for it it might as well be something smelly on the sole of your shoe!

davidd

VOC Member
Derek,

I am not certain about the originals. I suspect all were cast. Casting can be quite strong depending on the material and the heat treatment. I am now over my head.

The new prop stands made in America are 4140 heat treated castings. They have proven reliable to my knowlege. Here is some information:

http://www.mikesvincentparts.com/VINCENT%20PROP%20STANDS.htm

I am not certain that visual inspection will give you the answer.

David

davidd

VOC Member
I should have mentioned that Michael Breeding prefers to sell domestically in the US. Domestic and foreign owners can contact Sam Manganaro, who sells all of Mike's parts for the same price. He will ship anywhere.

http://www.vincentworks.com/

David

derek

VOC Member
Roy the mechanic!! I do not understand your reply?? and take exception. I paid close to £100 for the one leg of prop stand from spares company, and it does not seem to be of the same quality as the originals.

I do know the difference between forging and casting. Forging is were steel/iron is forged into shape at a forge, by heating and forging into shape with hammers and swages, or drop forging, by heating and shaping by placing in a swage/die and hitting with a great drop force in one strike:to form the item. Casting is were molten metal is poured into moulds to produce the shape of the finished item.
I think that the originals wold have been drop forgings, it would be interesting to know what the new drawings frome the committee call for.

davidd

VOC Member
I suspect it is more dangerous to poke at Roy then use a propstand of questionable metallurgy, but I shall not stand in your way.

I would think that if the propstand were made poorly we would have seen all sorts of comments on this forum. It is impossible, or close to it, to get comments from the drawing commitee on the original specifications. Again, a casting can be as strong as a forging although there are a huge number of variables. I have always put a side stand on the stock Vincent because even at its best, the stock prop stand leaves a bit to be desired.

David

Albervin

VOC Member
I have now seen 2 Vincents collapse onto the ground due to sidestand failure. Both were LHS original stands. Both were just standing there minding their own business for quite a while (more than 2 hours in one case) when the stands gave way. I have one of Neal Videan's side stands for daily use but retain the originals in case I need to do work on the front wheel when out and about. Derek, you can join the queue of people who have taken exception to some of Roy's comments. It is not a short queue.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Just buy a VFR Honda one off eBay for 15 pounds take the switch off it drill one hole in your left rear engine plate and you have a strong side stand that works .
Cheers
Peter

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
I have the extended Michael Breeding prop stands on my "B" they stand the bike more upright therefore not as much pressure, load, on the stand. I also have the originals that will go with the bike if (when) sold. I have also had, on the "B", a Neil Videan side stand although it works well I didn't retain it.

Chris