Probable Ebay scam

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Just a quick warning, it has been brought to my attention by a new member that a Series C Comet with registration begining LKA has appeared twice in January on ebay UK as a complete running bike for £7600.
The advert was removed twice apparently by ebay and included the usual scam of it's located in Northern Scotland so it not easy to view etc.

I personally have not seen the ebay advert as they have been removed before it was brought to my attention. The bike is probably owned by somebody who is totally innocent and doesn't know what is occuring.

Basically....if it's too good to be true, it usually is, so be aware.

Simon

Tug Wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just a quick warning, it has been brought to my attention by a new member that a Series C Comet with registration begining LKA has appeared twice in January on ebay UK as a complete running bike for £7600.
The advert was removed twice apparently by ebay and included the usual scam of it's located in Northern Scotland so it not easy to view etc.

I personally have not seen the ebay advert as they have been removed before it was brought to my attention. The bike is probably owned by somebody who is totally innocent and doesn't know what is occuring.

Simon
Agree the above, when advertising a bike recently I had an offer from abroad to pay the buy it now price plus the percentage lost using paypal. The excuse to use paypal only was to use his credit card facility lodged with paypal.
My information is that should the buyer then claim bike not received then Paypal takes the buyers side and refunds him. This happened with a sale to Russia experienced by a friend of mine. The difficulty seems to hinge around proof of postage?
After questioning that "buyer" on ebay mail I heard no more from him.
As always buyer beware.

Williegunn

Non-VOC Member

Simon
It is a lot easier to view than ones South of the Border, when you live 3/4th of the way up Scotland, if anyone wants me to go to view, please ask.
I once sold a very expensive fishing reel on Ebay, +£5k and someone bought it in Russia, usual story of please post with reduced value to save paying customs duty etc. I was aware of a very influencial Russian Businessman, for want of a better description, fishing the Spey. For the cost of a bottle of good malt he agreed to deliver it for me or at least have his chauffeur, drop it off. I got full positive feed back as I am sure the large black car with dark windows caused a little worry when it pulled up outside.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Not that I am thinking of selling !!, But is there a safe way to buy or sell ?, I thought Paypal was bullit proof, But Tug says no !, The thing is this stuff is so much money, You can't expect Cash !!, And I would still worry if the notes were Fake !!, Worried of Dorset !.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I have gone to Scotland to buy a bike, agreed but unseen, and the seller was quite surprised that I took big bundles of cash which were immediately taken to be paid into a bank or post office. This was all within the club. Another bike I bought was also within the club but bought to a deadline which meant that I couldn't raise the total price in cash. The seller trusted my good name and I'm sure took up references within the club. About 20% cash with several cheques on different accounts for the balance was accepted. It gave me a warm feeling to be so trusted.

When we bought an expensive car on ebay (OK, only a quarter of a Comet's modern price) the seller checked all of the bank notes with a detector pen which apparently leaves a mark on fakes but not on genuine notes.

Cash on collection may be risky as you may end up carrying bundles of notes to an unknown location so the best bet may be to do the transaction at a bank where the seller gets instant confirmation of payment and the seller doesn't need to carry large amount of cash. The best bet seems to be working within the club where even if you don't know the other participant in the deal, some one you know, or at least know of, knows them.

vibrac

VOC Member
The best bet seems to be working within the club where even if you don't know the other participant in the deal, some one you know, or at least know of, knows them.
This is one of the reasons the Spares Company started the Bike Selling service with a fixed fee irrespective of the value of the bike, The last Egli Ben rebuilt was sold that way.

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Not that I am thinking of selling !!, But is there a safe way to buy or sell ?, I thought Paypal was bullit proof, But Tug says no !, The thing is this stuff is so much money, You can't expect Cash !!, And I would still worry if the notes were Fake !!, Worried of Dorset !.
Bank transfer works but use your own computers at the point of purchase to buy or sell. If sharing a computer tell the bank first.
The transfer is usually within minutes in the UK but my bank/building society advised could be up to 2 hours but guaranteed in 2 weeks! Big problem if you are miles from home! Best to advise the bank prior to expected large transfers.
As suggested elsewhere if cash arrange for the buyer to pay into your local bank then they take the hit on any duds.
Oh for the good old days.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have just been informed by another VOC member of another eBay scam. It involved a series C Comet registration PTE 875 that had a asking price of approx £6000. Again the location was Inverness in Scotland so inspection and cash on collection was not possible. Ebay appear to have removed the listing.

PTE 875 was last known to the VOC in 2009 and is a genuine machine. Apparently it was sold in 2009 at auction and the photos in the ebay auction were probably lifted from the 2009 auction website, and the current owner is probably totally innocent.

Simon.

carlm

Non-VOC Member
Bank transfer works but use your own computers at the point of purchase to buy or sell. If sharing a computer tell the bank first.
The transfer is usually within minutes in the UK but my bank/building society advised could be up to 2 hours but guaranteed in 2 weeks! Big problem if you are miles from home! Best to advise the bank prior to expected large transfers.
As suggested elsewhere if cash arrange for the buyer to pay into your local bank then they take the hit on any duds.
Oh for the good old days.
My bank, and another one that gives advice to seniors both say that bank-to-bank wire transfer is the way to go for large sums at long distance.
Or, if you happen to deal with the same bank, you can both go into your branch or his branch and transfer the money in front of a teller with your cards.

Howard

VOC Member
Pay cash? Try getting cash out of a bank now and they want to know what you want to do with it, and bike shops don't like taking it either - all to do with money laundering apparently.

H