ET: Engine (Twin) Primary side main bearings

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don 't think my work is as good as yours, I only have an old wood lathe with an X Y plate, Is that what they call it ?.
Are you talking about the Lipped outer, That I could get more narrow ?,
I can't use the Full size outer with the Lip, And a narrow alloy bit, It would stop the Lip from doing it's Job,
I think I did buy that Mod' , I was not thinking !!.
It was a long time ago, I am very Slow !.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Sorry, I thought you meant narrow normal rollers bearings. I did get some lipped roller bearings not that long ago that are the correct width, but are for slightly more manly mainshafts. They are NKE from Austria, so you could check with them.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am worried about making the outer track, Non magnetic again, If grinding it makes it magnetic.
I saw at "Machinemart " They sell a tool to make screwdrivers magnetic, Then change it back again,
Wonder if that will work for me ?.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Maybe try borrowing one first. This video really sucks and from what I recall he's not doing it correctly, but might give you the general idea. You would have to remove the tip and use a loop large enough to pass the outer bearing race through. I used to do it with screwdriver tips and loose bearing rollers. probably much more civilized ways to do it, but it was all I had. If I can get my soldering gun to work, I'll give it a try. I have a points cam ring that would do for a test subject.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Bill - twice in 2 posts!

Youtube is your friend.

Maganflux is a NDT testing method (Non Destructive Testing) used for crack checking things like say conrods -- you get it magnetic and then apply fine particles which will follow any crack lines. After the test you can reverse the magnetizing bit and make the piece non magnetic again.