primary drive case gaskets PD14, PD14/1, ET106,

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I seem to be faced over and over with Vincent primary drive gaskets that dont fit.
What is the secret?

vibrac

VOC Member
All the acrillic artists like my wife do a prestrech to their paper.
she will run tap on one side side shake of excess then tape down on board
(NB remember to pinch some of her appropriate tape)

john998

VOC Member
Don't use gaskets, modern jointing compound, or on a bad joint silicone, with care. The only gasket that is esential is the cylinder base, only if you have not fitted O ring seal.
john.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Buy the modern Chicago ones they fit and do not need hot water
And will not get you in hot water with the boss using the
Kitchen sink for motorcycle parts

craig

VOC Member
I spent hours with hot water and PD14's .......total waste of time! hot oil too! The paper gasket just does not expand to correct size, and then fitting primary fit up and this stupid paper gasket is not productive. cover screws just tore up the gasket and started jamming up the screw holes/threads.
I decided to drill and tap out the existing drain plug boss for 1/4 BSPT, fit a magnetic drain plug, then tomorrow fit all up with "goo of the month".
I did order Chicago PD14gaskets from Paul

THE CHICAGO SECTION
Working with Cometic Gaskets, Inc. has developed gaskets for the post-war
Twin available in a kit. The kit includes: ET106, PD14, ET105, ET182/1, ET180l and 2 each ET181. The
gasket materials, known as ‘AFM’ is a chemically blown, compounded nitrile synthetic rubber, bonded
to an aluminum core with temperature resistance of over 2,500oF. AFM material does not require gasket
sealers or silicone bead. Re-torque is NOT required.) These gaskets can be used several times over. All
gaskets are 0.060” thickness, with the exception of ET106, which is 0.032” (but available in 0.060” upon
request. Price for kit is US$47.00 plus shipping. Clutch cover gasket available, as are individual gaskets. If
there is enough interest, we will consider making gaskets for Comets available. Contact: Paul Holdsworth.
Tel: 847 507 1399. E-mail:
phpeh@hotmail.com

Attachments

• PD14TwinPrimary.jpg
    PD14TwinPrimary.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
Several studs of the appropriate thread can be useful for positioning the gasket on the face before you push the cover up to it. Once it is all in place with some screws in, the studs can be removed and replaced with screws one at a time. Old cover screws with the heads turned down to pass through the cover will do, but longer studs may not need the screwdriver slots.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I used to make my own gaskets by laying a sheet of the correct thickness paper onto the outer cover, having smeared the cover beforehand with the thinnest smear of jointing compound..wait until the jointing compound gets tacky, then simply remove the excess paper with a single edged razor blade...

Howard

VOC Member
I used to make my own gaskets by laying a sheet of the correct thickness paper onto the outer cover, having smeared the cover beforehand with the thinnest smear of jointing compound..wait until the jointing compound gets tacky, then simply remove the excess paper with a single edged razor blade...

Ball bearing over the screw holes (bearing bigger than hole), give it a sharp rap with (toffee) hammer and right size hole appears in right place.

I use silicon (I'm afraid) on joints where surplus sealant can't get into oilways.

H

1660bob

VOC Member
I have found these paper gaskets shrink in storage-alarmingly! I have bought two sets now and they have been sitting for a while.Recently took them out to examine and,er, no chance-they have shrunk so much as to be useless. I am hesitant to buy more as the ones supplied may well have been sitting on the shelf and be similarily duff.I think a different gasket material is called for surely.