Pre-War Miller?

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Cor, well done Martyn! I note from one of the diagrams that it is dated 12-11-46.

Now then, can you also produce a translation to English from your magician's hat? ;)

Peter B
Here you go Peter - my best efforts at a translation.

I do have one. It is a Miller DH3 Dynamo (6V 50W {30W @ 1700 rpm}) with inbuilt set of points with manual ignition advance but missing the internal regulator cartridge. I have the control cable (manual advance) and the lever control as well.

The nice thing is this dynamo on a comet mounts in the correct position and runs at engine speed; internal gears run the points at half engine speed, which is correct for a Comet.

Photo's are of the unit I have. FWIW I understand it was originally purchased from the Jolly Thresher Garage and fitted to a Comet

Martyn
DSCI0023.JPG

DSCI0025.JPGDSCI0026.JPGDSCI0027.JPGDSCI0028.JPGDSCI0029.JPGDSCI0030.JPG

Attachments

• DH1 DH3 Maintenance Instructions English.pdf
    313.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

A_HRD

VOC Member
Martyn,

Thanks for the offer Martyn. And thanks for the great translation job. While Miller products were reviled by some for being unreliable, this item shows how innovative Mr Miller could be too!

While I very much like the device (a nice restoration job), I actually don't have a use for it - if I'm honest with myself. However, I suspect there will be others on here who will show considerable interest.... Best of luck with the sale.

Peter B
Bristol UK

b'knighted

VOC Member
Even more. I bought mine from Robin Blackwell at a New Forest Rally forty or so years ago.
Next can we have a thread on timing the ignition of a Comet dynamo.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Back in their day the Jolly Thresher Garage apparently promoted these as 'the way' to convert Comets to points ignition, could explain why they are (apparently) not all that rare in the Vincent community.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Just listed mine on eBay - now to see what happens.

Back in their day the Jolly Thresher Garage apparently promoted these as 'the way' to convert Comets to points ignition, could explain why they are (apparently) not all that rare in the Vincent community.
Similar units were mounted on New Imperials, Raleighs etc. My New Imp has a points/coil generator very similar.