Pre monoblock type 29 fuel level

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Does anybody know what the correct fuel level on Amal 289 (or is it type 29) carbs originally fitted to Black shadows?
I am trying to get my Vin carbs tuned better and have noticed the fibre washers around the float bowl attachment are different thickness on the front to rear carbs. Now this could alter the fuel level in the carb body, but I cannot find any reference to fuel level on pre-monoblock type carbs or any indication of a level mark on the body.
Thanks,
Simon.

pifinch

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I will probably be shot down in flames (as usual) but the fibre washers do not affect the float level, the fuel cuts off when the float has reached maximum travel, I dont think Amal Standards offered any adjustment to float level, they are very crude, it either floated or it didn't. The only way to adjust float is to shim or reduce the cut off valve; But then again ,its midnight so you'd best ignore this reply!
steve

timetraveller

VOC Member
Sorry pifinch. Imagine putting very many washers in the joint between the bottom of the float chamber connection and the banjo bolt which holds it into the main body of the carb so that the whole chamber, float and all is below the main body by an inch or more. (Yes I do realise that it would need a new banjo bolt). You will see that then the whole level of the petrol would lower. Having said that I cannot imagine that the level is super critical. If anyone really cares I do have unused washer from about 45 years ago still lying around so I could measure some. Anyone want to know how thick they were in the 'good old days'?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi timetraveller,
If you could measure the thickness of an original that would be great. I guess it is not super critical but I would like to use the same thickness on both carbs and I am not sure what I have got is correct.

Thanks,
Simon

derek

VOC Member
Float level

I always thought the the fuel level should be level with, or just below the top of the needle valve body. This with the carb upright and the slide and needle removed and fuel on, view fuel level and adjust float level by whatever means, sliding up the valve spindle etc.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thicknesses of a few washers picked out of the box at random and of the correct size for the application under discussion; .0675, .0680, .0680, .0685, .0580, .0585, .0660, .0675. You will see that two out of the same box have been made from a material which is 0.01" thinner than the rest so whatever Amal used as standard from new was being replaced by items which differed in thickness by that amount 45+ years ago. Clearly it is not critical to that amount. Good luck.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Fuel Level

G'day Simon,
I have asked this same question on Vincent and other sites but have not been able to elicit an answer. AMALs' GP and Monobloc carbys have an external indicator but not so it seems the others.

Phelps.