PR: Proprietary Items PR27--Can you still buy a "correct" 1-piece Rear Number Plate?

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've ridden vintage bikes, 1930 Harley, never came with a brake light. I always used hand signals and still do during daylight hours. I feel motorists will be more likely to think about what I'm doing when they see my arms doing signals. Hopefully younger folks know the meaning of these arm signals. My BMWs are 6V systems as well, not really a problem. Knocking on wood ;)

Alyson

VOC Member
and I usually mount a couple extra cat eyes on the back as well so it's easier to see me during night time.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
I got this one from eBay not to long ago very good condition have seen a few over time some needing a little work The one on my Rapide I got as new old stock for an Excelcior if my memory is correct The hole for the tailight was smaller but easy fixed
I just checked my notes and I paid 40 pound in June 2019 for the one in photo. Also paid 36 pound for one for 197cc Ambassador not Excelcior In August 2018. But I understand what it’s like trying to find a part you want I’m still looking for an original 8 inch Miller headlight rim Happy Days

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
The trouble with going all correct is, to be totally correct, you must run the 6volt system including the barely glowing 6volt brake and tail bulb. Then one hopes car drivers will see it and not run over you.
I once followed a Vincent with an original type rear light, still on 6 volts . It was a gloomy day, which didn't help.
Even at just 25 feet back and knowing the brake light was on, it was difficult to spot.

Glen
Glen

Agreed. I want to be as authentic as possible but 12volt and modern BHT Mag are staples. I see the original PR27 as a more elegant version as an original part than the currently available VOC option. The scalped edge looks better than the 2 part version to my eye. Anyway will quest for an original PR27. Let me know if you know of any good sources? Warm Regards, Mark

vibrac

VOC Member
If you feed the led strip from the rear lamp through a resistor it will light less brightly until the resistor is bypassed by the brake light feed. Ideally you also need a diode in the feed from rear light so that the brake light circuit doesn’t light up the front pilot lamp.
I am no electrical genius but since the circuit goes from battery to stop switch and branches to stop light and LED array and thence to earth how will it affect the pilot? And the LED strip is only on that circuit not the rear lamp circuit.