PR: Proprietary Items PR27--Can you still buy a "correct" 1-piece Rear Number Plate?

Sakura

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I believe Velo used a similar plate but the mounting plate is shorter. Perhaps someone can confirm?

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Is there something wrong with this from the Spares Co?
Once painted or bought painted it just needs a sign writer or what we all did by 1960 stick numbers on and lacquer them in.
View attachment 39715
The problem here is the picture. In comparing originals (see ebay below) and my repo it's more than just the seam. There is a nice sweep to the top that is also evident in the originals. Mark

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The trouble with going all correct is, to be totally correct, you must run the 6volt system including the barely glowing 6volt brake and tail bulb. Then one hopes car drivers will see it and not run over you.
I once followed a Vincent with an original type rear light, still on 6 volts . It was a gloomy day, which didn't help.
Even at just 25 feet back and knowing the brake light was on, it was difficult to spot.

Glen

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I think that some of the series Bs came with the plate two piece spot welded together type. I had one of those and it cracked last year so I repaired it by reinforcing the edges with 3/8" round bar.

vibrac

VOC Member
I slipped a string of LED lights along the bottom of the numberplate to fire up with the stop light
(the reflector is mounted on the stand screw that normally has a tommy bar)
1611774388483.png

b'knighted

VOC Member
I slipped a string of LED lights along the bottom of the numberplate to fire up with the stop light
If you feed the led strip from the rear lamp through a resistor it will light less brightly until the resistor is bypassed by the brake light feed. Ideally you also need a diode in the feed from rear light so that the brake light circuit doesn’t light up the front pilot lamp.