• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

PR: Proprietary Items PR27--Can you still buy a "correct" 1-piece Rear Number Plate?

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I have a '50 Rapide (2501) and would like to replace my repro 2-piece rear number plate--anyone know if the VOC Spares offering is that? Thx Mark

Shane998

VOC Member
I have a '50 Rapide (2501) and would like to replace my repro 2-piece rear number plate--anyone know if the VOC Spares offering is that? Thx Mark
I got this one from eBay not to long ago very good condition have seen a few over time some needing a little work The one on my Rapide I got as new old stock for an Excelcior if my memory is correct The hole for the tailight was smaller but easy fixed

Attachments

• 533624BA-1628-4AAF-92AD-BF9215638E3F.jpeg
    533624BA-1628-4AAF-92AD-BF9215638E3F.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 35

vibrac

VOC Member
I got this one from eBay not to long ago very good condition have seen a few over time some needing a little work The one on my Rapide I got as new old stock for an Excelcior if my memory is correct The hole for the tailight was smaller but easy fixed
Is there something wrong with this from the Spares Co?
Once painted or bought painted it just needs a sign writer or what we all did by 1960 stick numbers on and lacquer them in.
1610965820468.png

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The Spares Company offering maybe perfect, but you cannot see from the photos that you show whether they are a one piece pressing or constructed of two parts welded together, I think Mark only wants a one piece pressing as per original, or were the two piece variety ever supplied as original anyway?

Mark Stephenson

VOC Member
Is there something wrong with this from the Spares Co?
Once painted or bought painted it just needs a sign writer or what we all did by 1960 stick numbers on and lacquer them in.
View attachment 39715
The problem here is the picture. In comparing originals (see ebay below) and my repo it's more than just the seam. There is a nice sweep to the top that is also evident in the originals. Mark

Glenliman

VOC Member
The trouble with going all correct is, to be totally correct, you must run the 6volt system including the barely glowing 6volt brake and tail bulb. Then one hopes car drivers will see it and not run over you.
I once followed a Vincent with an original type rear light, still on 6 volts . It was a gloomy day, which didn't help.
Even at just 25 feet back and knowing the brake light was on, it was difficult to spot.

Glen

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I think that some of the series Bs came with the plate two piece spot welded together type. I had one of those and it cracked last year so I repaired it by reinforcing the edges with 3/8" round bar.

vibrac

VOC Member
I slipped a string of LED lights along the bottom of the numberplate to fire up with the stop light
(the reflector is mounted on the stand screw that normally has a tommy bar)
1611774388483.png

b'knighted

VOC Member
I slipped a string of LED lights along the bottom of the numberplate to fire up with the stop light
If you feed the led strip from the rear lamp through a resistor it will light less brightly until the resistor is bypassed by the brake light feed. Ideally you also need a diode in the feed from rear light so that the brake light circuit doesn’t light up the front pilot lamp.

Latest Forum Threads

List of Forum Categories

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?