Powerdynamo Mag-Dyno

delboy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all,
just received a message from Katerina of VAPE in the Czech Rep', the makers of Powerdynamos. These modern units have been available with a 35mm shaft height and fitted to several Series A singles.
She says "Unfortunately we don't have any suitable Ignition kit for your Vincent-HRD. I'm sorry we are unable to help you any more."
I have messaged back noting they have been supplied before [just in case the new owners are unaware] with a part number, but my suspicion is the new owners are not interested in our comparatively odd "specials".
We'll see.
So unless we have some Czech speakers out there, it looks like we missed the boat.
regards, Delboy.

G

Graham Smith

I bought one of these just a few weeks ago.

Sadly, not for a Vin, but for @Josh Smith’s RD125. They’re really well-made bits of kit, and it totally transformed the starting/running of his bike.

I think they have a UK distributor. I’ll check my paperwork.

vibrac

VOC Member
Couple of strange things the web site still has 'A comet' advertised? and when I looked at Gold star it said the rev range was 0 to 4000 that seems a bit of a low limit? I am interested as I need a new magdynamo for my Douglas it too rotates the opposite way to most mags and it seems they can do that. However it looks expensive I think my best path is to get an Alton and fit a Thor spark system to turn the mag unobtrusively into coil ignition.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi all,
just received a message from Katerina of VAPE in the Czech Rep', the makers of Powerdynamos. These modern units have been available with a 35mm shaft height and fitted to several Series A singles.
She says "Unfortunately we don't have any suitable Ignition kit for your Vincent-HRD. I'm sorry we are unable to help you any more."

Is the spindle height incorrect for a Series A on what was the old Lucas Magdyno? I am now assuming it is 45mm after a bit of searching with google.

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Probably in the new book BACK TO 'A'
Shriver had something non-standard with his mag platform or the reverse and got the German mag-dyno, but that was many years ago.

delboy

VOC Member
There is a lot of useful info in back to A. Including a section about ignition. Lucas can be made to fit, but it seems like too much aggravation.
Hi All,
Thanks Roy for the Back to A "plug". Most people seem unaware of it as a reference book.
Unless my eyesight is failing me, [probably] I cannot see an A Comet listed on the VAPE site? It is not the nicest site to navigate though.
It probably IS shown on the old Powerdynamo site which tells us Vape now handles the business.
Hence the enquiry and the up to date reply I posted.
Yep, Lucas Magdyno around 45mm spindle height and Bth and Miller 35mm.
I don't recall Glenn having a modded Mag' platform, and certainly Tom Bull [locally here] didn't, coz I saw it fitted.
As I said, don't hold your breath on a good reply from CZ.
Incidently, I think we do have a Czech club member.
Cheers, Delboy.

G

Graham Smith

@delboy What was the unit that Tom Bull fitted to his Series ‘A’ Comet?

It looked like remanufactured and modern BTH design.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The modern BTH make a platform mag which is 35mm or 45mm spindle height, but its a mag only and you cannot fit a dynamo generator to it.