Powerdynamo Mag-Dyno

delboy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The modern BTH make a platform mag which is 35mm or 45mm spindle height, but its a mag only and you cannot fit a dynamo generator to it.
Hi Graham,
say after me,
P o w e r d y n a m o.
The self same unit as described by Hon. Glenn Shriver.
Ta, Delboy.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I got the modern BT-H to make a replacement Mag/dyno for my A twin. Lucas was original fitment here and the same dyno bolted straight on to it. Somewhere I have a short video of it running on their test bench, but no dyno on it then.

delboy

VOC Member
Hi all,
just received a message from Katerina of VAPE in the Czech Rep', the makers of Powerdynamos. These modern units have been available with a 35mm shaft height and fitted to several Series A singles.
She says "Unfortunately we don't have any suitable Ignition kit for your Vincent-HRD. I'm sorry we are unable to help you any more."
I have messaged back noting they have been supplied before [just in case the new owners are unaware] with a part number, but my suspicion is the new owners are not interested in our comparatively odd "specials".
We'll see.
So unless we have some Czech speakers out there, it looks like we missed the boat.
regards, Delboy.
Hi Folks,
not even a courtesy reply from VAPE after my re-enquiry, so I think we can call the 35mm spindle Powerdynamos a dead duck.
regards, Delboy.

oexing

VOC Member
Basically you may order these PD types but my guess they are too busy in their country to deal with not so standard items like here. At least no quick order to be expected and shipped.

Vic

delboy

VOC Member
Basically you may order these PD types but my guess they are too busy in their country to deal with not so standard items like here. At least no quick order to be expected and shipped.

Vic
They must be the only busy country in the world at the moment, even to answer an enquiry!
Also their original reply said "we cannot help you any more".
Moving on.
Delboy.

oexing

VOC Member
I have read a story from someone who was at the "factory" and had the idea that only one in the staff was able to speak English and the rest busy with orders for standard dynamos. So for the very expensive magdyno set they may be no longer interested, don´t think they sold a lot of these.
When you are quick enough there are two sets left in Germany via Ebay, see link below. In the Ebay shop the spindle size is 38 mm so suitable for Vincents ??

Vic
Power Dynamo set

Last edited:

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Hi all,
just received a message from Katerina of VAPE in the Czech Rep', the makers of Powerdynamos. These modern units have been available with a 35mm shaft height and fitted to several Series A singles.
She says "Unfortunately we don't have any suitable Ignition kit for your Vincent-HRD. I'm sorry we are unable to help you any more."
I have messaged back noting they have been supplied before [just in case the new owners are unaware] with a part number, but my suspicion is the new owners are not interested in our comparatively odd "specials".
We'll see.
So unless we have some Czech speakers out there, it looks like we missed the boat.
regards, Delboy.
reading the manual says: the height for Lucas is higher than Bosch units, up to 44.6 mm, to do so they have put an steel plate under it. the body height is 38 mm, and looking at the inner picture, I will take my chances and mill it down to 35 mm.

billirwinnz

VOC Member
If you are stuck for sparks the Marelli magnetos (MCR4) on Guzzi singles use a 35mm deck height. They rotate anticlockwise on the Guzzi but changing direction is possible and also there are other 35mm versions which rotate clockwise as they were fitted to all sorts of machinery. subito.it is a good source of old Marelli magnetos.
Bill

oexing

VOC Member
When you look for a magneto to go on a Vincent you´d like one with good spark at kicking speeds , well, typically Vincenteers are quite a bit past their youth. So with bad knees this is a fact you´d have to accept and carefully pick your ignition. In the Horex community with 400 cc singles mostly they have lots of VAPE sets but some have switched back to battery coil ignition as Powerdynamo sparks are not very impressive at kicking speeds. These sets are the complete job with new flywheel magnets plus 150 W alternator and electronic ignition blackbox at € 600.- or so.
The Marelli mag is allright on Guzzi or Gilera singles with ATD on contact breaker end. So when needing to change rotation you have to find a suitable ATD for Vincent use. Plus the coil is only single spark and not strong enough for twin sparks. There are a few modern mags with rotating magnets , not coils, but I don´t think you can hide them under the mag cowl on a Vincent, too high with coil on top.
Best concept I see is a strong alternator to feed an electronic coil ignition in a distributor, cheap to do and great sparks at kicking mode. For alternators I picked brushless servo motors to go in the old dynamo place, way above 200 W 14V at 50-60 € plus cheap voltage converter. Unless you don´t care about having the mag cowl to hide an alternative mag at the old place . . .

Vic