E: Engine Power Arc Ignitions

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
More discussion here about various programmable ignitions

Tri-Spark (an Australian company) do a fully programmable ignition suitable for Vincent Twins and Singles. It is called the FireBox - more info here https://www.trispark.com.au/

BTW I have no commercial interest. The listed prices are in Australian $$, so apply the exchange rate for a pleasant surprise

b'knighted

VOC Member
The Vincent replacement Magneto looks to total about £370 but like the BTH it is timed at full advance with no detail of the range to full retard.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Finally have the Power Arc ignition installed and running, using a slightly modified Lucas Rita housing. There is still some fine adjustments to do with carbs, but it runs very nicely, smooth, strong pull, idle was a little higher as well.

The two program leads are earthed and not using the VOE's option - using the base curve.

The coils are mounted using the front stand bolt holes on a special bracket close to the unit with rubber isolator mounts.

I am having some issues with starting - I do get kick backs, but reading above post it is probably due to not being able to get a good long swinging kick. I have been kicking from just over the 2nd short compression, but my COVID legs are a little weak, no kick starts for 8 months.... so some training to do

Attachments

• 20200503_141020_sm.jpg
    20200503_141020_sm.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200617_201630_sm.jpg
    20200617_201630_sm.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Finally have the Power Arc ignition installed and running, using a slightly modified Lucas Rita housing. There is still some fine adjustments to do with carbs, but it runs very nicely, smooth, strong pull, idle was a little higher as well.

The two program leads are earthed and not using the VOE's option - using the base curve.

The coils are mounted using the front stand bolt holes on a special bracket close to the unit with rubber idolator mounts.

I am having some issues with starting - I do get kick backs, but reading above post it is probably due to not being able to get a good long swinging kick. I have been kicking from just over the 2nd short compression, but my COVID legs are a little weak, no kick starts for 8 months.... so some training to do
More easy to lift the lever, Kick and drop the lever 2 thirds down anywhere,
More easy on the kickstart too. Good Luck, Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Finally have the Power Arc ignition installed and running, ......... There is still some fine adjustments to do with carbs, but it runs very nicely, smooth, strong pull, idle was a little higher as well. ......
I am having some issues with starting - I do get kickbacks, but reading above post it is probably due to not being able to get a good long swinging kick. I have been kicking from just over the 2nd short compression, but my COVID legs are a little weak, no kick starts for 8 months.... so some training to do
You should not be getting any kickbacks if you have the timing set correctly especially if you're legs are a bit weak.
Use the valve lifter and swing and drop the lifter towards the bottom of the swing. Let the weight of the spinning flywheels do the hard work. Easy on your legs and knees, no need to to find the "correct" compression. The technique needs a few practice swings to get your own timing right for dropping the valve lifter. Bill, and lots of others have used this technique. I always used it before I fitted my electric start Give it a try.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I had a Kicker that was much bent !, S shape, To miss 2" Twin pipes, = Not much leverage,
Started it my way for years, Then lent the Bike to a Big friend for a Twisty Sprint,
He used Jim's way and Broke it !!.
And for some time , The bike had 12 to 1 pistons.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Having the HT coil so close to the ignition unit is generally not a good idea.

Hi Greg,
What are the consequences of having them too close ?
Got my coil in a similar location next to my Grosset ignition so might need to rethink the setup.
Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
It is difficult on the twins for lack of room else-ware.......At least on a Comet you have a few more choices........Keeping it all under the mag cowl is tidy but goes pretty much against what all the manufacturers say about HT coils in close proximity to the rest of the ignition set up.......I did the same as you with my Grosset ignition on my Rapide, but I did try to keep the actual HT leads and that end of the coil as far to the left as i could....... I made up some small brackets and I think I used a large "P" clamp that wrapped around the body of the ignition unit to mount the HT coil away to the left and close to the inside of the mag cowl. I believe on these electronic ignitions that you should run some form of resistor in each HT lead........Either use resistor plug caps or resistor spark plugs but not both..........On the new Ignitech programmable ignition I have bought for my Norvin single racer you must do this or else it voids any warranty of the ignition unit. The electronics can be sensitive enough that any HT interference can damage them apparently. I know if you run a new style digital Smiths speedo or tacho that the HT interference will upset them big time, but using resistor plug caps will fix this problem.