Powder Coated Cases

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I need my engine cases (Chaincase, timing chest etc) painted black. Has anyone got any comments, good or bad?

H

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Black Shadow

I was at Hever a couple of weeks back and was discussing the excellent finish Paul Ennis has achieved on his Rapide to Shadow conversion. He used etch primer and Plasticote Gloss black for all the covers and Humberol brush and also spray paint on the cases. Paul uses his bike, it is not a static showpiece, but the results are very good, durable and seem to suffer no ill effects from oil or petrol or heat. I think the problem with powder coat is it is difficult not to get a thick coat of the stuff, I just think it tends to look a bit on the heavy side. Also I think I would prefer to prepare my own cases for painting as I feel a little uneasy entrusting the masking and grit blasting process to others. I think I would always feel there was just one little piece grit lurking in the bowels of my engine just waiting to wreak havoc.
Good Luck Peter Holmes

myself

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Peter, this is my first attempt at a reply. I took my clutch cover and mag cover for powder coating black gloss. When I went for them the coating was all bubbled needing to be rubbed down again. The coater said there was oil in the porous metal, he couldn't make a sucess of them and they would have to be wet painted. George

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks.

Those are the two problems I was most concerned about, but didn't want to put words in anyones mouth.

I've heard of people having success with Plastikote but not seen any results.

The bubbles, as I understand it, are something to do with gas entrapped in porous castings that find their way out through the paint while it's drying.

Powder coaters assure me they can do it, but, they would wouldn't they.

Any more comments welcome.

H

deejay499

VOC Member
Howard. The alternative is two pack or stove enamel if you can get it, but I agree with Peter on the thoughts of blasting with any medium. I have had some success with powder coating Alli, but that was stuff away from engine bits, but even the mag cowl bubbled up, so it is not that good.
Good luck, DJ

van drenth

VOC Member
Powder coating.

PLS, be adviced that powder coating of crankcases is the worst thing you can do. I have seen the results on the crankcases of the black shadow i own. The cases have to be blasted and it take ages to have the blasting grit out of the inside. Beter is to have the crank cases and covers stripped off the paint, if it is there, by liquid paint remover and than to spray paint with TWO COMPONENT black paint and over this two coarts of TWO COMPONENT clear varnish. Also at powder coating process temperature of 200 degree centigrade will be reached and all your bearings , oil sleeve of more things which are fitted will shift.
Regards, Jan van Drenth

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Whole engine painting

Howard,
Agreed with others on outgassing occuring with powder coat on alloy parts and bubbling the finish as happened with a mag cover I tried (twice) before settling for painting.

Perhaps I could extend this thread to request info. regarding the most suitable preparation and painting for the whole engine, especially barrels and heads, and importantly the paint type. I have lived with an unsatisfactory re-paint job on my shadow that continues to peel and lift, especially the heads, whenever the engine gets hot which of course is every time it is used! There is now a considerable amount of 'touch up' on the motor and time to tackle the whole thing. It is my intention to do the job myself this time rather than entrust it again to a claimed 'expert', so imput from club members who are familiar with the process and pitfalls from start to finish will be most welcome.
Col.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Howard,
Agreed with others on outgassing occuring with powder coat on alloy parts and bubbling the finish as happened with a mag cover I tried (twice) before settling for painting.

Perhaps I could extend this thread to request info. regarding the most suitable preparation and painting for the whole engine, especially barrels and heads, and importantly the paint type. I have lived with an unsatisfactory re-paint job on my shadow that continues to peel and lift, especially the heads, whenever the engine gets hot which of course is every time it is used! There is now a considerable amount of 'touch up' on the motor and time to tackle the whole thing. It is my intention to do the job myself this time rather than entrust it again to a claimed 'expert', so imput from club members who are familiar with the process and pitfalls from start to finish will be most welcome.
Col.
Internation Paints sell a product called "High tempature black gloss" . I bought a can from our local B&Q by way of an experiment. I tried it on a pair of fork blades having first sprayed them with etch primer. The result was very pleasing so I took it a stage further and used it on numerous other parts. The downside is that it is not fuel-proof so some form of fuel resistant laquer is needed. This was discovered when the front carb flooded and dripped on the drive side crankcase-oh b----r!