Powder Coated Cases

peterg

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Howdy Howard,

I'd be inclined to paint with the best two-pack available over any powder coat application, from both sides of the equation, prep and results. PC'rs like to bead blast which is just adding risk to a power unit already in service as opposed to one being resusitated from the crusty dead. No commercial establishment can afford to carefully mask off the mating faces and vary the surface depth where needed (recessed lands on covers held by tight fitting cheesehead screws) to provide adequate clearance.

Once stripped of paint (air craft stripper is sypathetic to alloy), Hot soda wash your parts (transmission rebuild shops or similar) which act as an astringent to boil the oils out of the more porous pieces. Don't worry about bearings left in situ, this process leaves a film that protects bare steel to a degree and you'll be cleaning it off prior to painting anyway. Hit your finished surfaces (primary, timing cover) with scotch brite pads then clean the lot with a fast flashing lacquer thinner of similar to remove any oil and film. Tape off mating surfaces. You've got your choice at this stage, brave? Shoot color straight on the alloy (I shot my carbs depicted below 10 years ago with Glasurit's base silver mixing metallic over bare metal and none has come off after repeating soakings in gasoline though now in need of being cleaned up a bit, admittedly). Otherwise, use a low build final color tinted etching primer. For color, I've had absolutely superb luck with Glasurit 21 and now 22 line high solids base black. I shot this engine in 1992 and it only needs a swipe of the cloth laden in Brake Clean to shine like new.

Be advized the same havoc being wreaked on tank lining concoctions by new fuel formulations will have no less dramatic effect on your painted surfaces. Just as no suppliers of the former can assure you without a doubt their product will hold up to these rather transient standards - in our case the EPA - over time, neither can automotive finish suppliers. That is why I recommend using the best you can obtain and letting the chips fall where they may.

Don't know how accurate you want to get it but attached is a pic of a 2,500 mile totally original Shadow for reference (displayed at the VOC NA rally on Saturday along with a portion of the crate it arrived in). You'll note the heads/cylinders look to be shot bare and have less gloss that the cases and covers. Note also the masked off (bare metal) lands for the valve covers. Glasurit sells deglossing agents to mix with their paints.

Good luck.

Attachments

• glasuritsilver.jpg
    glasuritsilver.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 73
  • origpaintshadow.jpg
    origpaintshadow.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 83

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks all.

Not what I wanted to hear. I was looking for an easy life taking them to the powder coaters who've just done a good job of my frame.

Looks like serious work required at the wrong time of the year - damp cold winters are no good for painting or old bones.

H

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Howard,
What about a Bodge! Have you seen " Sperex Engine Enamel " It might be the same as Len was telling you about only this says NO PRIMER and NO LACQUERS. An old friend, The Late Bill Telfer from West London did his Shadow with it and was very happy, I don't think Petrol upset it but I am not sure about the new Petrol.
His way of baking it was to leave it in the Green-House !!.
Nice to here the Bike is going again.
All the best Bill the bodge.

sidmadrid

VOC Member
Don't mess about,
Take it to a small independant body shop, or even a big one.
Offer to pay cash, Pick the bones out of this thread and tell them how you want it done.
They have a paint mixer, they can mix as much as they need, they can also mix enough of the etch primer as required.
They buy their stuff in bulk so it will be reasonably priced.
Doing it yourself will cost a fair bit in materials alone
They will have an oven. Health and safety stuff. (I still have a cough from painting my Vincent frames in two pack 30 years ago.)
They will have the latest masking tapes and techniques, masking tape has a shelf life, and there will be new stuff that we don't know about.
Don't mess about, you will only gulp once when you pay, then you will soon get over it. If the price is realy bad it will be a tale to dine out on.
sid

Howard

VOC Member
Sid

I think you're probably right, I'm not the most patient person, so painting isn't my forte.

Bill

Yep, Egli running again - Want a race??????????

I was losing momentum with the build, so I decided to cut a few corners, and make it a first fix. I need some chroming, so those bits can be taken off in winter. I've actually painted the cases with Simonize engine enamel (with a view to a proper job later), they looked very good (for me), the paint doesn't seem to be troubled by fuel etc but I've managed to chip it quite easily, perhaps I should have etch primed it first, but instructions said not necessary.

Hoping to get a bit more involved next year, may see you at Rallies.

H

hooterman

VOC Member
Hi Howard,
Re Sperex engine paint I've used it and it "does everything it say's on the can " I can not fault it. Iv'e Only used it on heads and barrels no probs but meticulous prep is essential many miles done since, got the odd chip but "hey ho" keep em on the road" see you Oct 3rd weather permitting
PS photos of bikes just uploaded I.O.M. Manx 2009 and if it they can withstand that amount rain do I need I say more.

Hooterman

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Howard,
Re Sperex engine paint I've used it and it "does everything it say's on the can " I can not fault it. Iv'e Only used it on heads and barrels no probs but meticulous prep is essential many miles done since, got the odd chip but "hey ho" keep em on the road" see you Oct 3rd weather permitting
PS photos of bikes just uploaded I.O.M. Manx 2009 and if it they can withstand that amount rain do I need I say more.

Hooterman

Hi

Sorry, you won't see me Oct 3rd at the North Staffs meet. That was my target date for the Egli to be roadworthy. At the last section meet I discovered it's the Saturday we come back from holiday - I just assumed it would be a Sunday!!!!!!!!

Oh well ... best laid plans and all that.

H

Paul Adams

VOC Member
Re painted cases

Hi Howard.
I would go for 2 pack paint every time.
You must prepare the base metal properly first. A beadblast followed by an acid etch then undercoat and then top coat gloss.
Mine has been on for over 15 yrs now and is superior to powder coating because you can polish the surface. Powder coating is soft and will scratch if you try and polish it.
Best of luck.
Paul Adams

Puddle jumper

Non-VOC Member
2 Pack

Hi,
Having had both done I would recommend 2 Pack for castings every time,
Any decent paint finisher should advise against powder coating on casting because of porosity.
Make sure who ever you use has a low bake oven, and then leave it a week or so before you start putting all the parts back together.
Giving the paint plenty of time to settle down.

Somer

VOC Member
A friend of mine,the late Dick Busby use to say that it seemed that powder coated cases ran warmer.
It seems that it goes on real thick,obscures the serial numbers too.