E: Engine Potential problems

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Don't tell me you don't have a Comet Bruce ?, The 8 th wonder of the world,
If you didn't talk to your Bike before, You do with a Comet, Trying to get up the hills !.
Zoom in just above gearbox filler, Only I leave the tube off and no cable, Stupid things !.
Just put it in 1st gear, Roll back on compression, Back into neutral, Give it a kick.

Sorry I have been at the Wifes Wine !!.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_083021 (3).jpg
    IMG_20190804_083021 (3).jpg
    501 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

David Wardingley

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi again,
An interesting thread it’s turned out to be! Tommorrow I will indeed attempt to remove the cable and order a new much longer one. Once I have the cable out and ordered it from Venhill the I will swap my attention to the other side of the machine and take off the clutch cover, I expect that it will be covered in oil and the plates will need cleaning, with what? White spirit perhaps or would you have any other magic solutions!
Regards DAVID

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
An aerosol of brake and clutch cleaner might get a lot of the oil off, if that is the problem. Available in Halfords etc. Read the warnings on the can.

I do not have a Comet, but going by what others have said the clutch and decompressor cables are the same. They are on the twins. If so you could swap them just as a check.

Good luck.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If it has wet sumped, First you drain it off the engine, There is a drain bolt on the left hand side of the bike,
You get to it via a hole in the prop stand plate,
After running the engine, Check your oil tank and fill till the oil just touches the plate about 4" down the hole.
I like to check the engine oil is returning to the tank, Every time I go out.
After that just take out the oil level bolt in the chaincase and let it find it's level.
If you have been running the bike for long it might not be that problem.
Take the filler cap off the chaincase and look down, if you can see the bottom run of the chain,
It's not too bad.
I don't bother to strip the clutch out after a winter layoff, Just ride it round the block a few times.

Last edited:

highbury731

VOC Member
As a rule, all Vincent kick start levers are indexed to operate way too high. It makes you do all the work in the first quarter of the movement. I think it is best to do all the kicking in the last quarter of movement, which is from about half way down to all the way down (with foot near hitting the pavement).
David
What adjustment are you suggesting?
Paul

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The thing with a Comet, Is the clutch is built for oil, Not like the Twin,
But with David's Bike we know nothing about it.
We don't know if it has a clutch problem, Or it's over oiled ?.

vibrac

VOC Member
Has your comet got two plug holes? If it hasn't then you just missed the easy way out for problem two
As to the first problem the Burman clutch often responds to a little love and modern friction plates do wonders. Funnily enough your problems exactly mirror mine last year with my vello KSS the cure was to throw away all those little corks and get the friction surfaces fully covered by friction material from saftek now I don't even use the velo valve lifter.
My comet has a Honda clutch I rarely use the valve lifter