E: Engine Potential problems

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi David.
It's the York section monthly meeting on Tuesday evening, The Bay Horse at Fulford in York. Don't know how many will be there as I haven't been for over a year myself (100 mile round trip for me)
Chris.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Hi David.
It's the York section monthly meeting on Tuesday evening, The Bay Horse at Fulford in York. Don't know how many will be there as I haven't been for over a year myself (100 mile round trip for me)
Chris.

Chris
We've missed you.

Dave
I will be there and a few more, but this time of year not many bikes.
8pm is a good time to arrive.

Vince Farrell

David Wardingley

Forum User
VOC Member
Chris
We've missed you.

Dave
I will be there and a few more, but this time of year not many bikes.
8pm is a good time to arrive.

Vince Farrell

Hello Vince,
I will attend your meeting at the Bay Horse Fulford on Tuesday evening, I will aim to arrive by about 8 pm. I will be the guy with the bike gear on ( I rarely use a car).
Regards
David

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris.R

VOC Member
Hi all,
I’m new to Vincent ownership just recently obtaining a fully restored 1951 comet. It hasn’t been used at all for two years and my questions relate to a couple of issues really. 1 is what appears to be clutch slip on starting, ie the kickstart will sometimes not crank over the engine put skid to the bottom of the stroke, if I use the valve lifter to get it over compression then mostly it appears to be ok! And number2 concerns the valve lifter being enormously stiff when trying to use it unlike my Velo which is as light as a feather. Because of these two issues it can be tricky to start from cold although once warm it starts very easily usually on the first or second prod.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Regards DAVID
Hi David I like you am new to Comets that is I had a 1952 mark in the 1960s my present machine a 1954 Comet sat in a museum for 30 years I bought her 2 years ago and now rebuilt is recently on the road and is settling in but slowly, my problems are starting and of course todays road conditions. Starting may be mag related, the clutch was cleaned and still had the old style inserts that works well enough getting started is a problem but she runs well when on the road. I have left a note on a Forum thread regards magnetos most riders there seem to have a problem from hot which is not my problem mine is as I say from cold. The Comet has a great throaty bark and sure is a head turner when heard beautiful!

Chris

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
Thanks all for the replies,
I have been looking at the cable routing as you suggest and mindful of the fact that the bends in the cable should be as gentle as possible. My cable comes out of the timing chest via a tube? Then bends upward on a very tight bend before it meets the battery case, up under the tank and to the lever. To get a more gradual bend it seems sensible to take the cable actually under the battery box and do a gradual u bend somewhere near the rear mudguard and then the normal route up along the underside of the tank etc. My next question is how does one get the cable off the timing chest end? It appears as if my cable could do with being 17” longer!!!!! Although I need it off to send to Venhill as a pattern .
Regards David
had the same problem with the valve lifter it was the cable made my own cables very easy job to do.