Misc: Charging Systems Positive Earth

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No, they only weigh a few grams each. They are the ones available from Vehicle Wiring Products a few years ago £18.88 pair From memory 12 volt 21 watt bulbs in each M10 mounting bolts as opposed to M5 on the Kellermans.. I can well believe that the bulbs could now be replace by brighter LEDs.

highbury731

VOC Member
you will probably have to alter the internal wring of the dynamo to change the dynamo output polarity.
Simon
No actual modification is needed to change the polarity of a dynamo. If a dynamo has not been used for a while, or if its polarity is unknown, then you need to flash it.
Remove the D and F wires from the dynamo. Connect the battery earth as you wish, and take a lead from the battery feed terminal to the D terminal on your dynamo. Touch it repeatedly on the D terminal. It will give a spark. The dynamo is now of the correct polarity for your desired earthing.
Paul

poor1

Non-VOC Member
No actual modification is needed to change the polarity of a dynamo. If a dynamo has not been used for a while, or if its polarity is unknown, then you need to flash it.
Remove the D and F wires from the dynamo. Connect the battery earth as you wish, and take a lead from the battery feed terminal to the D terminal on your dynamo. Touch it repeatedly on the D terminal. It will give a spark. The dynamo is now of the correct polarity for your desired earthing.
Paul
Can anyone vouch for this method please

poor1

Non-VOC Member
An addendum to the above. Reading further down the post on the Matchless Clueless site:
"the regulator need to be disconnected before flashing if the polarity is unknown".

highbury731

VOC Member
An addendum to the above. Reading further down the post on the Matchless Clueless site:
"the regulator need to be disconnected before flashing if the polarity is unknown".
My understanding is that 'disconnect the regulator' means 'remove the F and D wires from the dynamo, then flash it.' That's what I did with mine, and it worked.
Paul

highbury731

VOC Member
There is a modification which you could usefully do, if you alter the polarity. After you have flashed the dynamo, make sure that the leads on the ammeter are the right way round to show charge when the dynamo is charging.
This holds for standard Lucas CVC units - it does not mind whether the system is negative or positive earth. I think that if you have an electronic regulator such as the AO or Dynamoregulators, you need to have a unit with the appropriate polarity.
Paul