poor quality repop silencers

John Emanuel

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi just out of interest does anyone know the make of the silencer in the picture, with the side cut out, as I have the same silencer with a loose baffle. I am just deciding whether to cut and re
weld or replace it.
Also how good is the finish on the Armours stainless steel
Silencer in comparison to the chrome silencer. I ask because
normally the stainless isn’t as bright as chrome.

Pete

It's the Vincent spares company spiral baffle silencer which I cut up to see why it was so restrictive.
John

pkrich

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The one I have is exactly the same but is pre 1974 is the one you have cut open one of the new Vincent spares company spiral baffle silencer

Pete

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The finish on the s/s Armours silencer is very good but remember that s/s goes a straw colour with heat and use. I don't mind but some people don't like it. My gripe with Armour's pipes and silencers years ago was that they did not fit. The joint between the front and rear pipes was in the wrong place, the stub pipe on the front pipe to take the rear pipe and the stub on the front of the silencer were the same diameter as the pipes themselves to that pipes would not fit into each other and the hole in the long pipe inside the stub for the rear pipe was only about three quarters of an inch across. In short they were a mess. However, I understand that things have changed and people who have bought them more recently seem to have been happy.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hi just out of interest does anyone know the make of the silencer in the picture, with the side cut out, as I have the same silencer with a loose baffle. I am just deciding whether to cut and re
weld or replace it.
Also how good is the finish on the Armours stainless steel
Silencer in comparison to the chrome silencer. I ask because
normally the stainless isn’t as bright as chrome.

Pete
Hello Pete, I think I have 3 now, And am Happy, The finish is better than stuff that was sold years ago, When you have it in your hand, I think it is not easy for the Polisher to get right in where the bracket is, But when it's on the bike it's fine for me. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
002 (8).JPG

pkrich

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the photo Bill is that chrome or stainless in the photo because if that’s stainless its not easy to tell from photo
I have several exhaust systems from Armours but they are all chrome

Pete

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I had big problems with Armours SS pipes when trying to fit them to an enclosed Series D. The sweep of the front pipe being lower than original pipes meant that it fouled the crashbar. The only option was to cut away part of the crashbar to give some clearance. I assume that the same would apply when fitting Armours chrome pipes to a D.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks for the photo Bill is that chrome or stainless in the photo because if that’s stainless its not easy to tell from photo
I have several exhaust systems from Armours but they are all chrome

Pete
Morning Pete, It's a Stainless Silencer with an old Chrome front pipe, I did take a few inches off the tailpipe, But that's just me, I love to change things !. Cheers Bill.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
The one I have is exactly the same but is pre 1974 is the one you have cut open one of the new Vincent spares company spiral baffle silencer

Pete
From distant memory, I think the original spiral was only 6 turns and the tube about 9 inches long. That new one looks like 8 turns and longer too.
Tatty