poor quality repop silencers

usefulidiot

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone have a list of the brands of the bad quality silencers? I read the page a while back in MPH about the new ones the Spares Co. is making and how they dyno tested a few HP difference. I believe they also said something about a "crispness" to the sound. My bike runs pretty well, standard Rapide motor with concentrics with 160 mains at sea level. Plugs look good. It doesnt sound crisp tho, and i wouldn't mind a few more HP! My silencer has the name "Cambell's" on the underside of the silencer near where it meets the head pipe. Any info is appreciated thanks.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
There has been considerable discussion of this previously, I think the thread was "comet silencer", however I will tell you my experience.
I had trouble with my twin when I got it, performance wasn't as I expected it to be, tried playing with carbs etc, no joy.
On my test run up a slight incline, about 1/2 mile I could get up to 75 mph, my norvin 90mph, so I took the goldie silencer off the norvin and fitted it to the twin, bingo 90mph. The silencer that was on was an unknown make, spiral baffle type so I bought a straight through absorbtion type from "Bantam John" now sound crisper but not loud at all and still does 90mph up the test run.

usefulidiot

Non-VOC Member
thanks very much for the response. I believe i found the thread you are talking about and it mentioned avoiding "Cambell's" silencer's specifically.. I think this is enough for me to try the spares Co. one. Thanks.

Howard

VOC Member
For a crisper note and more hp :-
a. Cut through the Cambell silencer box at the clamp end.
b. Remove internal rusty bits of metal and/or fibre glass.
c. Weld in a length of 1 5/8" exhaust pipe.
d. Weld original two parts of silencer back together.

You will never want another silencer. Instant performance and crisp exhaust note. Not to mention all the new friends you'll make - men in cars with blue lights will stop you, just to tell you what a beautiful sound it makes. :D

H

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's a shame you are so far away, But I am very pleased with my Stainless one from Armours, It has a bigger hole, Straight through !!, Than the Chrome one they do, It's a bit too long on the end pipe, It was not loud till I chopped a few inches off !. You might think about going up a bit on your mainjets ?, cheers Bill.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
It's a shame you are so far away, But I am very pleased with my Stainless one from Armours, It has a bigger hole, Straight through !!, Than the Chrome one they do, It's a bit too long on the end pipe, It was not loud till I chopped a few inches off !. You might think about going up a bit on your mainjets ?, cheers Bill.
Bill, I had good results with Armours chrome silencer. It was made with a separate mounting bracket with elongated holes which meant it could be bolted in position without straining. The Campbells silencer should be avoided at all costs-far too restrictive and often the baffle breaks loose inside.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have been very happy with Spares Co spiral baffle silencer, performance OK and noise acceptable. (To me at least.:))
I am in the process of a lengthy rebuild (my own fault for riding it so much) and I have a new Armours stainless silencer to try when all the bits get back together. Bill's comment is reassuring as I was wondering about volume of noise from the straight through design. I'll try it unmodified ..... first.

usefulidiot

Non-VOC Member
lots of great info here thanks guys. I just ordered a silencer from the Spares Co. I'm thinking this might take care of the only complaint ive ever had with the bike as well. That is, at 75 mph...it seems like i am either lugging in 4th or screaming in 3rd. I assumed this was gearing related and was gonna try a 48t rear sprocket but now i'm thinking i might just be missing a few HP with this cruddy silencer. Looking forward to reporting back with results!