poor quality repop silencers

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Timetraveller,
Do you mean that my "D" might have MK 1's despite all that's been written? I will say that my engine produces the "normal" clatter, so who knows?
Gary

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Gary. It will depend upon whether you still have the original cams or not. I have never measured original Mk 3s so whether they really had quieting ramps or not I don't know. Over the years I have measured three sets of reproduction Mk 3s and there is nothing on them that could be considered a quieting ramp. It is not just the measurements of the lift that give this but even calculating the acceleration does not show anything unusual at the start and end of the lifts. What I read years ago was that they underground the base circle and then blended it into the lift over ?20 degrees but I cannot refer you to where that information is and I might be remembering incorrectly. Has anyone out there ever seen a quieting ramp on a Vin cam?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thinking logic, a straight through, will never be as quiet as a baffled silencer.
In fact it might make it run weak.
It depends how much power you want or need. Cheers. Bill

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I will make it a bit more easy for you Norman ?.
If you buy an Armours Stainless one and the Wife says it's too loud, I will buy it off you, You pay the postage !!.
I need one for my new Comet, But be Quick !!!, I am a bit keen at the moment, Just rebuilt and fitted the Gearbox, Just need to do the Flywheel Job. Cheers Bill.
That's a kind offer Bill but I think I'm going with chrome on this bike.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I will make it a bit more easy for you Norman ?.
If you buy an Armours Stainless one and the Wife says it's too loud, I will buy it off you, You pay the postage !!.
I need one for my new Comet, But be Quick !!!, I am a bit keen at the moment, Just rebuilt and fitted the Gearbox, Just need to do the Flywheel Job. Cheers Bill.
I went to Feked today Bill but didn't get on too well, they're not really set up for counter sales and wanted me to buy before seeing the silencer (which was in store wrapped and boxed) which I didn't want to do. Would you do me a favour and take a look at the chrome ones in Armours please to see if they are likely to be free flowing when you go to buy your stainless one. I rode 180 miles today and I enjoyed the sound my old silencer makes sans baffle and the bike ran better too. I'm not in a hurry to get the new one.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That's a Shame Norman, They can't do enough for me, Who did you see, Gordon or Steve ?, I think they must have been Busy.
I was in there the other day, And a Chap wanted to know how loud a new Silencer would be ??, That didn't go down well !.
180 miles !!, You are a Real Rider, In this heat !.
As I said, I think for Quiet you will need a Spiral Baffle ?.
All The Best, Bill.

Kiwi_Tim

VOC Member
My most recent experiences with mufflers from both feked and armours have been disappointing. I got some mufflers from feked for an a10 and they were both the wrong shape and the mounts were so wrong they couldnt be fitted and then some mufflers from armors for an a65 that were literally scrap (they did replace theirs at least) and the replacements of adequate but not good quality. So when it came to replacing a home made muffler for the shadow bought the spiral voc pipe and very pleased with it. Has a nice rasp and appears to pull better than its predecessor that was a gutted open pipe. Sadly we typically have to buy site unseen here in the colonies

Normski

Non-VOC Member
That's a Shame Norman, They can't do enough for me, Who did you see, Gordon or Steve ?, I think they must have been Busy.
I was in there the other day, And a Chap wanted to know how loud a new Silencer would be ??, That didn't go down well !.
180 miles !!, You are a Real Rider, In this heat !.
As I said, I think for Quiet you will need a Spiral Baffle ?.
All The Best, Bill.
After yesterday's ride without baffle I'm converted to noisy Bill! It actually only makes a pleasant burble which isn't so loud as to be offensive or tiring. It wasn't too hot yesterday and the roads and scenery were good.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It must be me then , The heat is getting to me, Bit Dizzy, Just fell off the 560 !,
In the Garage !!, Silly Old Sod .

If you do Push On !, Make sure it's not running too weak, With an open Pipe,
Maybe it was too rich before ?, And it's Perfect now ??.
Have Fun, Bill.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
My OZ Rapide arrived with a very quiet and restrictive Toga fitted. Toga makes or made at least two types of silencer for a Vincent twin, open and fully baffled.
Top speed was around 80 mph. I thought, OK this is a mighty Vincent. Not impressed.
After drilling out the baffle with a 1" steel drill bit with welded extension, the bike came alive. I saw 115 on the speedo and that was in mph.
On the local dyno hill ( about 15-20% grade )
the bike had previously dropped down to 60 mph at top of hill with a 70 mph start at bottom, top gear used.
After the drilling it managed to pick up speed on the hill, going over the top at 72 mph!
A few years later I purchased one of the Spares Co. spiral baffle silencers.
I have not found it to provide the near magical power transformation some true believers claim.
If replacing a stuffed up silencer, then perhaps it would seem magical.
It gives the same performance as the crudely drilled out Toga, a 70 mph start gives 72 mph top of hill using top gear.

Glen