The spiral baffle was not what I expected so much as a spiral
as a load of s!!!! Not sure if I will make a new spiral or not bother

Pete
SDC17028.JPG
SDC17029.JPG

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Australia introduced The Australian Design Rules (ADRs) in Jan 1969 . These are national standards for vehicle safety, anti-theft and emissions. The ADRs are generally performance based and cover issues such as occupant protection, structures, lighting, noise, engine exhaust emissions, braking and a range of miscellaneous items. ALL vehicles used on public roads in Australia MUST comply with those rules as they applied on the date of vehicle manufacture. Magic! My Vincent was made in 1951 so no part of the ADR's applies (as they did not exist at the time) - this is especially good in regard to engine exhausts. As long as my bike is fitted with a silencer device then its legal. It does NOT matter how effective or ineffective it is - it just needs to be there.

You do not need to be a member of Mensa to figure out that a plain, straight through, totally non-restrictive exhaust can be totally legal provided the vehicle is made BEFORE 1969 and it "seems" to have a silencer in place.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Thought I'd add to this older thread. Yesterday my Egli started to make a horrible noise which turned out to be the silencer baffle being loose. I've cut the end off the exhaust and removed this spiral baffle. The baffle is 8" long (although the silencer 'box' length is 15") with an o.d. of 2 1/2" and a pitch of 1 3/8" the diameter of the core tube is 3/8" There is a curl of plain sheet within the silencer which probably packed the spiral out to the silencer tube which has an o.d. of 3"
People have commented on my bike being quiet and with the exhaust welded up without any baffle it's not awfully loud. I'm looking for suggestions of what to replace it with, being an Egli I don't have to have an original silencer, Gold Star maybe?
IMG_6696.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
There are some strange silencers out there
I found one on the web " made in UK" stamped as made by "The Vincent co" (whoever they are ) and stamped HRD
It's an excelent price but like most things you can't make a good product for peanuts

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I wonder if Mk1 cams would make it more quiet than Mk2, And a steady hand on the throttle !.
Like all things, Once you have bought it , You are stuck with it for a long time.
Cheers Bill.
As a racer you may not approve Bill but I've Mk3 cams in the Ugli.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
There are some strange silencers out there
I found one on the web " made in UK" stamped as made by "The Vincent co" (whoever they are ) and stamped HRD
It's an excelent price but like most things you can't make a good product for peanuts
The large variation in price is one of the factors making a decision of what to buy difficult.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I will make it a bit more easy for you Norman ?.
If you buy an Armours Stainless one and the Wife says it's too loud, I will buy it off you, You pay the postage !!.
I need one for my new Comet, But be Quick !!!, I am a bit keen at the moment, Just rebuilt and fitted the Gearbox, Just need to do the Flywheel Job. Cheers Bill.