poor quality repop silencers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Don't forget that Vincent spares do two silencers the spiral one made by hand as near to the original as possible and a repro absorption type

nkt267

VOC Member
Confirming what Bill says. My Armours stainless fits standard pipes on my Rapide.
the full armours stainless system fitted perfectly on my Comet, being stainless you can clean any burnt on crud off with oven cleaner and then a quick buff up..i may have been unlucky, maybe getting a slightly oversize silencer, but i could not get the silencer to tighten onto the VOCS front pipe..VOCS one didn't go to waste, I fitted it to my nephews comet which made it go better..John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
the full armours stainless system fitted perfectly on my Comet, being stainless you can clean any burnt on crud off with oven cleaner and then a quick buff up..i may have been unlucky, maybe getting a slightly oversize silencer, but i could not get the silencer to tighten onto the VOCS front pipe..VOCS one didn't go to waste, I fitted it to my nephews comet which made it go better..John
I think we are coming back to the same old thing, ( No 2 Vin's are the same !), A small dab of Ex' sealer should do it. Cheers Bill.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I think the tail wags the dog the variable is in the dog (exhaust pipe) not the tail (silencer) not all pipes come from the hallowed original Vincent jigs still producing pipes .

I had actually considered this but as the exhaust pipe on the Comet is bolted to the engine plate and is parallel to and practically touching the bottom of the gearbox I concluded that the end of the pipe could only be in one position. This position makes the SB silencer mounting tab 3/4" approx. too low to mate with the pillion plate.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I had actually considered this but as the exhaust pipe on the Comet is bolted to the engine plate and is parallel to and practically touching the bottom of the gearbox I concluded that the end of the pipe could only be in one position. This position makes the SB silencer mounting tab 3/4" approx. too low to mate with the pillion plate.
I tried to tell Feked that I had been told the mounting bracket was a bit out, Didn't go down well !, I get on well with them , So I let it slide !!, I have not had a look at one myself. Cheers Bill.

nkt267

VOC Member
Well, the few VOCS ones i have fitted didn't match the engine plate either, I just had to work around it. I couldn't be bothered to pay the return postage..John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well, the few VOCS ones i have fitted didn't match the engine plate either, I just had to work around it. I couldn't be bothered to pay the return postage..John
For years my Comet pipe looked wrong, Hung down at the end, Made the silencer look all wrong, Don't know where it came from, As the chrome got a bit old I thought bugger it, So cut a V out of it and bent it up and welded it, Now looks fine, I can hardly see the join !. Cheers Bill.

John Emanuel

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
image.jpeg
C
image.jpeg
Since the VOC silencer was developed and financed jointly by the great and the good of both the VOC and Vincent Spares to replicate the original spiral baffle silencer I do not expect it has any incorrect dimensions. Any deviations that other silencers have are by definition deviations from the standard
I doubt that the VOC spiral baffle silencer does replicate the original Carbjector silencer. I think that the spiral baffle should be the full diameter of the outer shell, as shown in the 1949 sectioned drawing. I fitted a VOC silencer as soon as they were available and took the bike to the local dyno. The engine had lost 4bhp compared with straight through absorption silencer. That evening I put the old silencer back on the bike and sectioned the new VOC one to see how it was made.

vibrac

VOC Member
View attachment 17840 CView attachment 17841
I doubt that the VOC spiral baffle silencer does replicate the original Carbjector silencer. I think that the spiral baffle should be the full diameter of the outer shell, as shown in the 1949 sectioned drawing. I fitted a VOC silencer as soon as they were available and took the bike to the local dyno. The engine had lost 4bhp compared with straight through absorption silencer. That evening I put the old silencer back on the bike and sectioned the new VOC one to see how it was made.
well the technical officer is on the inside cover of MPH and he is part of the technical committee perhaps you should take the unusual step (for this forum) of actually asking the driver and not all us firemen