• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

poor quality repop silencers

John Emanuel

Active Website User
Non-VOC Member
Hi just out of interest does anyone know the make of the silencer in the picture, with the side cut out, as I have the same silencer with a loose baffle. I am just deciding whether to cut and re
weld or replace it.
Also how good is the finish on the Armours stainless steel
Silencer in comparison to the chrome silencer. I ask because
normally the stainless isn’t as bright as chrome.

Pete
It's the Vincent spares company spiral baffle silencer which I cut up to see why it was so restrictive.
John

pkrich

Website User
VOC Member
The one I have is exactly the same but is pre 1974 is the one you have cut open one of the new Vincent spares company spiral baffle silencer

Pete

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
The finish on the s/s Armours silencer is very good but remember that s/s goes a straw colour with heat and use. I don't mind but some people don't like it. My gripe with Armour's pipes and silencers years ago was that they did not fit. The joint between the front and rear pipes was in the wrong place, the stub pipe on the front pipe to take the rear pipe and the stub on the front of the silencer were the same diameter as the pipes themselves to that pipes would not fit into each other and the hole in the long pipe inside the stub for the rear pipe was only about three quarters of an inch across. In short they were a mess. However, I understand that things have changed and people who have bought them more recently seem to have been happy.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hi just out of interest does anyone know the make of the silencer in the picture, with the side cut out, as I have the same silencer with a loose baffle. I am just deciding whether to cut and re
weld or replace it.
Also how good is the finish on the Armours stainless steel
Silencer in comparison to the chrome silencer. I ask because
normally the stainless isn’t as bright as chrome.

Pete
Hello Pete, I think I have 3 now, And am Happy, The finish is better than stuff that was sold years ago, When you have it in your hand, I think it is not easy for the Polisher to get right in where the bracket is, But when it's on the bike it's fine for me. Cheers Bill.

pkrich

Website User
VOC Member
Thanks for the photo Bill is that chrome or stainless in the photo because if that’s stainless its not easy to tell from photo
I have several exhaust systems from Armours but they are all chrome

Pete

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I had big problems with Armours SS pipes when trying to fit them to an enclosed Series D. The sweep of the front pipe being lower than original pipes meant that it fouled the crashbar. The only option was to cut away part of the crashbar to give some clearance. I assume that the same would apply when fitting Armours chrome pipes to a D.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks for the photo Bill is that chrome or stainless in the photo because if that’s stainless its not easy to tell from photo
I have several exhaust systems from Armours but they are all chrome

Pete
Morning Pete, It's a Stainless Silencer with an old Chrome front pipe, I did take a few inches off the tailpipe, But that's just me, I love to change things !. Cheers Bill.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
The one I have is exactly the same but is pre 1974 is the one you have cut open one of the new Vincent spares company spiral baffle silencer

Pete
From distant memory, I think the original spiral was only 6 turns and the tube about 9 inches long. That new one looks like 8 turns and longer too.
Tatty

pkrich

Website User
VOC Member
Managed to get time to cut the end off my exhaust today
The spiral baffle was not what I expected so much as a spiral
as a load of s!!!! Not sure if I will make a new spiral or not bother

Pete
SDC17028.JPG SDC17029.JPG

MartynG

VOC Member
Australia introduced The Australian Design Rules (ADRs) in Jan 1969 . These are national standards for vehicle safety, anti-theft and emissions. The ADRs are generally performance based and cover issues such as occupant protection, structures, lighting, noise, engine exhaust emissions, braking and a range of miscellaneous items. ALL vehicles used on public roads in Australia MUST comply with those rules as they applied on the date of vehicle manufacture. Magic! My Vincent was made in 1951 so no part of the ADR's applies (as they did not exist at the time) - this is especially good in regard to engine exhausts. As long as my bike is fitted with a silencer device then its legal. It does NOT matter how effective or ineffective it is - it just needs to be there.

You do not need to be a member of Mensa to figure out that a plain, straight through, totally non-restrictive exhaust can be totally legal provided the vehicle is made BEFORE 1969 and it "seems" to have a silencer in place.

Normski

VOC Member
Thought I'd add to this older thread. Yesterday my Egli started to make a horrible noise which turned out to be the silencer baffle being loose. I've cut the end off the exhaust and removed this spiral baffle. The baffle is 8" long (although the silencer 'box' length is 15") with an o.d. of 2 1/2" and a pitch of 1 3/8" the diameter of the core tube is 3/8" There is a curl of plain sheet within the silencer which probably packed the spiral out to the silencer tube which has an o.d. of 3"
People have commented on my bike being quiet and with the exhaust welded up without any baffle it's not awfully loud. I'm looking for suggestions of what to replace it with, being an Egli I don't have to have an original silencer, Gold Star maybe?IMG_6696.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
There are some strange silencers out there
I found one on the web " made in UK" stamped as made by "The Vincent co" (whoever they are ) and stamped HRD
It's an excelent price but like most things you can't make a good product for peanuts

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I wonder if Mk1 cams would make it more quiet than Mk2, And a steady hand on the throttle !.
Like all things, Once you have bought it , You are stuck with it for a long time.
Cheers Bill.

Normski

VOC Member
I wonder if Mk1 cams would make it more quiet than Mk2, And a steady hand on the throttle !.
Like all things, Once you have bought it , You are stuck with it for a long time.
Cheers Bill.
As a racer you may not approve Bill but I've Mk3 cams in the Ugli.

Normski

VOC Member
There are some strange silencers out there
I found one on the web " made in UK" stamped as made by "The Vincent co" (whoever they are ) and stamped HRD
It's an excelent price but like most things you can't make a good product for peanuts
The large variation in price is one of the factors making a decision of what to buy difficult.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I will make it a bit more easy for you Norman ?.
If you buy an Armours Stainless one and the Wife says it's too loud, I will buy it off you, You pay the postage !!.
I need one for my new Comet, But be Quick !!!, I am a bit keen at the moment, Just rebuilt and fitted the Gearbox, Just need to do the Flywheel Job. Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Normski, I've never measured a set of Mk 3 cams which actually had quieting ramps. You might find that your Mk 3s are Mk 1s anyway.

Latest Forum Posts

Latest Forum Threads