poor quality repop silencers

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My first ride on the Back of a post war twin, A friend of my brothers picked me up from work, I was 15, We overtook a car on a slow bend, Maybe 40 MPH and he changed UP into top, I was always a big lad !, And I thought I have got to get one of these !!. If the bike is set up OK it should do it. Cheers Bill.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
TOGA
I'll be using a never used Toga straight through muffler on the Rapide when spring gets here. What is the verdict on that one? I can see that it has perforated baffles around the large part of the can, but what is behind them and does it last? the chrome looks great.

Ron
Good product. I believe the Toga is of the absorption type, like a Burgess. Fairly quiet when new but gradually gets louder as the glass wool packing deteriorates.

davidd

VOC Member
For those who may have old mufflers for repair, you could have a go at using some new components. The article below is by Cone Engineering and it is aimed at the AHRMA racers, but it supplies HP and decibel data. All their items appear to be stainless, including the wool. Here is the link for any parts:

http://www.coneeng.com/motorcycle_components.html

David

Attachments

• Cone Engineering Article.pdf
    813.5 KB · Views: 16

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Phil, We are only allowed 70 !! tut tut. Eddy, Don't you think the outlet pipe looks too long ?, Cheers Bill.
Dear Bill,
Yesterday I dug the Spares Co spiral baffle chrome silencer out of the shed and went under the bed and found the new Armour's stainless silencer.
I compared the two and got the following approximate dimensions:

silencer table.png

Oldhaven

VOC Member
FWIW the new steel Toga is:

OAL 28 1/2"
Inlet Stub 1 5/8"
Body 18 1/8"
Tailpipe 8 5/8"
Body Diameter 3 1/4"
Inlet and Tail ID 1/5/8"
and weight is 5 lbs 1 oz.
The metal appears to be 18 Ga., .0479, plus a couple of thou chrome for .051 thickness

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As normal, I have over done it !!, I think I took over 2" off the end, Also i tried to make it 58" from the ex' valve to the end like L/ning pipes, Always looking for more power !!, But it does seem to make more noise. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
As normal, I have over done it !!, I think I took over 2" off the end, Also i tried to make it 58" from the ex' valve to the end like L/ning pipes, Always looking for more power !!, But it does seem to make more noise. Cheers Bill.
My billet silencer on the GF aims at that length and retains the 3" width, (for clearance and appearance). With the 1/4" alloy walls on inlet outlet and body, a straight through 2" perforated internal pipe, and an absorption material depth of only .250". I just slip under the scrutineers at 106 Db hope to get a few more meetings before repacking.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I wonder what Db an Armours Road silencer makes, I was lucky I stopped racing just as this testing came in, The stainless has just under 1.5/8" but the chrome one is a bit smaller. Cheers Bill.