• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Political Joke

Mike 40M

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Being an ignorant foreigner, is it appropriate nowadays to use the word feMALE?

timetraveller

VOC Member
My advice is to ignore the whole can of worms. Plough on regardless and if a few egos are bruised in the process well, so what. In the world of theatricals we have males, traditionally referred to as 'actors', we have females who now seem to prefer to be called 'actors' rather than 'actresses' and in between we have those of an uncertain/indeterminate gender who try to influence the rest of us by insisting that every type of gender is referred to as 'actor'. This might camouflage their predilections, but not for long. There is a very popular Irish, and camp, interviewer on BBC television. I always think of him as a 'leprechaun' , an Irish fairy, but then I am a rough untutored sort of a chap. I find it interesting that, when talking to ladies of my age, how many of them despise the present asexual fashion and like to be treated as females.
Regarding the BBC. For some years they have had a predilection to use the present tense when referring to historical actions. Quite who, or what, made that decision is a mystery to me. Just before Xmas I had the radio on in the car while driving somewhere and some intellectually challenged female, on what might have been 'Woman's Hour' was explaining to the masses that the winter solstice was on December the 21st (it is sometimes but not always) and the reason that Xmas was on the 25th was that it took four days for people to notice that length of daylight had change. There is so much wrong with this that one wonders at the educational level of the organisers of this type of program.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Chankly Bore brought a smile to my face, in another thread, with his non-PC description, “The only saving grace is that the machine isn't tarted up like a queer Gypsy's caravan.”
I thought then of how these damned colonials have become lucky colonials by not having our enforced sensibilities thrust upon them.
They even had the presence of mind to transport German Greer to the UK where she instigated the language changes as part of her campaign.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you really want to get mad (apart from listening to Henry Cole on about bikes) look up WOMXN
the world has gone mad

highbury731

VOC Member
An dd's and ll's. Try getting a Brit to wrap his mouth around a Welsh 'll'. It's amusing (they tend to say 'cl' or 'thl' or 'fl'), but not as amusing as trying to get a Brazilian to say 'squirrel'. They just CAN'T, it usually comes out as something like 'eskeeeeriou'.
Paul

plasticbeer

VOC Member
An dd's and ll's. Try getting a Brit to wrap his mouth around a Welsh 'll'. It's amusing (they tend to say 'cl' or 'thl' or 'fl'), but not as amusing as trying to get a Brazilian to say 'squirrel'. They just CAN'T, it usually comes out as something like 'eskeeeeriou'.
Paul
A lot of Brits ARE Welsh, or put another way all Welsh are Brits.

Vince Farrell

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
My advice is to ignore the whole can of worms. Plough on regardless and if a few egos are bruised in the process well, so what. In the world of theatricals we have males, traditionally referred to as 'actors', we have females who now seem to prefer to be called 'actors' rather than 'actresses' and in between we have those of an uncertain/indeterminate gender who try to influence the rest of us by insisting that every type of gender is referred to as 'actor'. This might camouflage their predilections, but not for long. There is a very popular Irish, and camp, interviewer on BBC television. I always think of him as a 'leprechaun' , an Irish fairy, but then I am a rough untutored sort of a chap. I find it interesting that, when talking to ladies of my age, how many of them despise the present asexual fashion and like to be treated as females.
Regarding the BBC. For some years they have had a predilection to use the present tense when referring to historical actions. Quite who, or what, made that decision is a mystery to me. Just before Xmas I had the radio on in the car while driving somewhere and some intellectually challenged female, on what might have been 'Woman's Hour' was explaining to the masses that the winter solstice was on December the 21st (it is sometimes but not always) and the reason that Xmas was on the 25th was that it took four days for people to notice that length of daylight had change. There is so much wrong with this that one wonders at the educational level of the organisers of this type of program.
There is a current axiom in theatre, certainly amongst older actors and directors, that 'Actresses who insist on being called actors will also insist on a great many other things'. We have now arrived at the absurd situation that at award ceremonies the designations have become the convoluted 'Leading male actor' and 'Leading female actor', etc.