Plywood Seat Base

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The new seat looks much more comfortable.
The only drawback is that your wife will be riding pillion all the time.
No more Sunday morning back lane hooning.

You're probably right but she's a very good pillion & I do get let out on my own now & then.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Dave,

If you go for the long seat option, just be aware that, depending on what rear damper you have and the position of the stay drillings in the rear mudguard, you MAY have issues with the lifting handle hitting the back of the seat! I did! First I rotated the lifting handle and re-welded the chainguard tab on t'other side. Still the problem existed. In the end, I cut the handle loop right off and plugged the remaining holes. I have a D stand:).

Just something else to watch-out for....

Peter B

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Dave,

If you go for the long seat option, just be aware that, depending on what rear damper you have and the position of the stay drillings in the rear mudguard, you MAY have issues with the lifting handle hitting the back of the seat! I did! First I rotated the lifting handle and re-welded the chainguard tab on t'other side. Still the problem existed. In the end, I cut the handle loop right off and plugged the remaining holes. I have a D stand:).

Just something else to watch-out for....

Peter B

Thanks for the warning Peter.
I knew it could be an issue so when I made the attachments to fully spring the seat I built in a bit of adjustability.
Think it will be a case of doing it & then getting my wife & myself sat on it to check the clearance, don't really want to take the springs off to do the check, but if it looks dubious I may have to for peace of mind.
Cheers
Dave

Albervin

VOC Member
Got my long seats from R K Leighton in Birmingham.
How do you find it regarding fit and comfort? I bought a Velocette seat from them and it looked superb. I needed to "fettle" it to make it fit but just some light tweaking of brackets. It was very comfortable and well made.

nkt267

VOC Member
How do you find it regarding fit and comfort? I bought a Velocette seat from them and it looked superb. I needed to "fettle" it to make it fit but just some light tweaking of brackets. It was very comfortable and well made.
I've found both the seats comfortable and I no longer crush my delicate bits on the tank when applying the brakes with a pillion on board:eek:;)