Plywood Seat Base

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am not a pannier man but if I was then the Marcus rear slide in system is the one I would emulate

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I am close to taking my long seat base, squab and cover to the upholstery shop.

0810191544.jpg

0810191546.jpg

I extended the angles to near the back edge for more support and was able to attach the arch between them because they had diverged enough, but had to trim the tabs to suit.

The sheet metal hump was extended by 3.5". I had to trim it a bit on one side to miss the bracket.

For screws for the tool tray slide, I decided to tap the angle reinforcement to avoid finding someone to weld on the nuts, per post #18 above. I had already drilled the full-size hole for one of them and had to use a nut on it. I used coarse screws, but would have used fine thread if I had planned better.

Because of manufacturing tolerances, the predrilled screw holes in the bracket didn't fall perfectly on the angle reinforcement. I ended up having to carve windows in the vertical leg of the angles in four places. I drilled a 17/64" hole and opened it up with this dremel bit: (I was pretty good at it by the time I got to the last one.) https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/9906-tungsten-carbide-cutter

I should have tapped holes there, too.

0810191549.jpg

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Has anyone used the long seat foam base from the Spares Co ?
Wondered what it was like comfort wise, especially for pillion passenger.
Cheers
Dave

bmetcalf

VOC Member
We haven't used it yet, but the extra 3.5 inches has to be better for the pillionist.

If you make one, be sure and make the base .75" to 1" narrower than the foam, since the foam shrinks when compressed for attaching the cover to the base. Mine looks like it will rub through after a bit of use.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
We haven't used it yet, but the extra 3.5 inches has to be better for the pillionist.

If you make one, be sure and make the base .75" to 1" narrower than the foam, since the foam shrinks when compressed for attaching the cover to the base. Mine looks like it will rub through after a bit of use.

Thanks for the advice Bruce, it`s appreciated.
Got to keep the Wife comfortable !
Cheers
Dave

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Has anyone used the long seat foam base from the Spares Co ?
Wondered what it was like comfort wise, especially for pillion passenger.
Cheers
Dave
I have used a Spares Co long seat for over 10 years and covered 48.000 miles. My wife has done many of those miles on the pillion and finds it comfortable.

vibrac

VOC Member
I found the long seat higher like a series D seat height I got my tame upholstery to reduce the rider half to my existing seat height of course I was brought up in the forties so am no fifties Amazon or sixties giant

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I have used a Spares Co long seat for over 10 years and covered 48.000 miles. My wife has done many of those miles on the pillion and finds it comfortable.

That's good to know Ed and a decent mileage covered.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I found the long seat higher like a series D seat height I got my tame upholstery to reduce the rider half to my existing seat height of course I was brought up in the forties so am no fifties Amazon or sixties giant

I'm probably only buying the seat foam & cover to have a go myself.
Can have a sit on the bike before fitting the cover so can get the electric carving knife out if it needs modifying.
Cheers
Dave