Plywood Seat Base

alan1961

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, has anyone got a copy of the drawing with the dims for the plywood seat base please?
The one in the 'Know thy Beast' I have shows it being about 4ft long :(
Thanks in anticipation

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Aluminum I used in 1965 whilst in HMD Devonport, as my original was getting a little tired and breaking up round the edges, now it's the mainstay of my pannier system.

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would use any dimensioned drawing as a guide only or for placing the supports. I found when I redid mine that seat foams vary a bit and you can end up either an oversize or undersized plywood base in length, width or shape. Oversize plywood will create an unsightly and possibly uncomfortable ledge and wear spots . Undersize will not support the foam and cover correctly.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Plus I think these days (At least in this part of the world) you would be hard pressed to even find any plywood that wasn't constructed with waterproof glue, which is the reason for spec'ing marine plywood!

Albervin

VOC Member
If you are going to make a new base then use a product like Penetrol to seal the surfaces. Drill all the holes then brush at least two coats (wet on wet). I then painted the base in black paint as per original. Also it is a good idea to sand any sharp edges around the perimeter. Do not be tempted to use staples either, they are just a lazy and ugly fix.

Kester_Marsh

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have noticed that at least one supplier is offering "Feriridax" badges that are complete with rivets, where are they supposed to be fitted to the seat ?