please help,whats it worth

peterg

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Howdy Alan,

That brings up a good point for those of us who've generally been late to the dance trendwise and never had the good fortune to "fall" into a good deal. The latter demonstrated most dramatically when the value/purchase price disparities are greatest as only the monetary headroom of marques like Vin's, Indians and Brough's can provide.

In 20 years of Indians and now 12 with Vin's, my only defense against morbid purchaser's remorse is a simpleton's (sometimes grim) determination to "work" this machine backwards into the good deal category by expending hundreds if not thousands of hours in the shop.

My latest purchase here was made on Oct. 4th, when the financial markets had reached full downward terminal velocity over here. Faced with a widow using Barrett Jackson 07 as a reference point and a reluctance to sell in any event, it was either payup or go home. I wrote a huge check and (mostly from exhaustion) have not looked back, as it's been a busy 3 months trying to drive that cost vs value equation wider apart and back fill the void with the relaxed feeling only good deals do bring.

Nonetheless, would be delighted to stumble across any manner of machines for 425 quid...

John Appleton

VOC Member
My old " Vin" is worth 425 quid-'cause that's what I payed for it:eek::eek:

I knew I was in affluent company when I am with you at various gatherings Alan. I skint myself when I paid 60 quid for my Rapide and it seems to have kept me that way ever since.
icon7.gif

John

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Economics

Paraphrasing, a Vincent will get you through times of no money in better shape than money will through times of no Vincent. Try substituting "food" for "Vincent". Still sounds good...

I knew I was in affluent company when I am with you at various gatherings Alan. I skint myself when I paid 60 quid for my Rapide and it seems to have kept me that way ever since.
icon7.gif

John

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy MrTom,

My good man, a DunloPillo, or even a Lucas mag, can only be tastier than this cherished racer's autograph I laboriously tried to lick off the seat ... along with $10 grand in provenance, of Somer's 900SS at the Barber Vintage event in October

Attachments

• Peter on Duck.jpg
    Peter on Duck.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 40

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Nutrition

No gain without pain. At least it was low fat. I couldn't quite make out whose autograph that was, though. That would be a lateish 900 ss. I hold the world record for riding one of those up the A90 at 130mph with a leg in plaster. The crouched position proved ideal for using the footchange as a handchange, that leg being the broken one.
And if one can eat Kellogg breakfast cereals (the healthy alternative to poisoning yourself) - and I'm not suggesting you do - then what's to complain about Dunlopillo? It has less sugar, less salt, fewer calories, is low fat, and is probably richer in fibre. It won't do you any good, but it will do a lot less harm, cheaper. A retailer friendly point: it has a long shelf life. And as for a Lucas magneto - have you seen that mineral content? Awesome!

Howdy MrTom,

My good man, a DunloPillo, or even a Lucas mag, can only be tastier than this cherished racer's autograph I laboriously tried to lick off the seat ... along with $10 grand in provenance, of Somer's 900SS at the Barber Vintage event in October

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy MrTom,

That mineral content? One can only begin to speculate, but I'll venture to say it is primarily of the non conductive variety .....I ordered a BT-H from our pleasantish MrMarsh on Monday.

The racey gent in question, a whispy little rascal named Cook Nielson who campaigned a 900SS successfully back in the day. Somer was keen to elevate the provenance of his steed with that signature and I was equally keen to digest it.

Alan J

VOC Member
Vincent "prices:

What a good thread!! chaps- I don't quite follow all of Peter's "Americanisms"-The Atlantic ocean separates us in more ways than one!! I have just spent "loads of money" [on a non motorcycle project as it happens]- as I told them in the "bank"if you are going to "give" me1 per cent interest on my hard earned "dosh" I'm going on a spending spree!! I find the whole business of "how much is it worth?" tasteless, that is why I quoted my 1974 buying price-only to be outdone by Mr. Appleton!! Don't sell it-ride it!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bracker1

VOC Member
The question ,How much is a Vincent worth?, depends on how much someone wants to pay. Present auction results suggest a price,for any twin, over $50,000. The perceived overpricing of vehicles has been a trend for the last 2 decades. It was great when people were able to purchase Vincents at a normal price, but times change. Old racing Ferraris were once worthless, now fetch millions. I don't see any outrage over that price hike. Don't buy a Vincent for an investment, buy it because you like the motorcycle. Ride it, work on it, and enjoy the social benefits of the Club. There are many other ways to waste money that are not near as much fun. The beauty of Vincents are they are great machines to run, will always be worth something, and not to be snobbish, always the best motor vehicles at any venue. Again, best bike ever.
Safe riding, Dan